5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:53 AM by Steve_P _ RSS

V6 - max # of reports you can open

helpless _

I am trying to open 217 .rtf files in monarch so that I can run them through one model and export. When I try to open them all nothing happens. Is that too many for Monarch to handle?

Thanks  :confused:

• V6 - max # of reports you can open
          Nick Osdale-Popa

According to the help file (V7.02):

Note:  The Open Reports or Projects dialog maintains a buffer of 16384 characters (increased from 2048 characters in V6) that it uses to temporarily store the path to the report folder along with the names of the report files you select.  The buffer should be large enough for most practical use, but it is possible to reach the limit by selecting a large number of files or by selecting several files with very long names.  If you exceed the limit, Monarch will not open any of the files you selected.  In this case, open only some of the files, then select File, Open Report again to select the rest.[/quote]

Grant Perkins

217 files complete with paths identified could be an issue. Have you already tried loading, say, half of them and seeing what happens? Then if that doesn't work, halve the numbers again.

If all the files are in the same folder you could try setting up a virtual disk mapped to that folder as a way to reduce the number of characters defining the path, although that suggestion assumes that you are not already abbreviating the path.

There could be some other reason of course.

Grant

Originally posted by Nick Osdale-Popa:

According to the help file (V7.02):

/size[quote]quote:[/size]Note:  The Open Reports or Projects dialog maintains a buffer of 16384 characters (increased from 2048 characters in V6) that it uses to temporarily store the path to the report folder along with the names of the report files you select.  The buffer should be large enough for most practical use, but it is possible to reach the limit by selecting a large number of files or by selecting several files with very long names.  If you exceed the limit, Monarch will not open any of the files you selected.  In this case, open only some of the files, then select File, Open Report again to select the rest.[/quote][/b][/size][/QUOTE]

Mike Redd

Originally posted by helpless:

I am trying to open 217 .rtf files in monarch so that I can run them through one model and export. When I try to open them all nothing happens. Is that too many for Monarch to handle?

Thanks   :confused:  /b[/quote]I had a similar problem and worked around it by writing a program that "stacks" all my text files within a directory into 1 text file. Then I just opened the 1 file I created "stacked.txt" and monarch that file. If you still need help let me know.

Mike

Grant Perkins

A good suggestion from Mike which prompted this:

Have you looked at the possibility of concatenating all the files into one using the dos COPY command?

c:<PATH>copy *.rft allfiles.txt

or something like that.

Put that into a .BAT file and run it using either DOS or Autoscript.

Just a suggestion.

Grant

Originally posted by Mike Redd:

I had a similar problem and worked around it by writing a program that "stacks" all my text files within a directory into 1 text file. Then I just opened the 1 file I created "stacked.txt" and monarch that file. If you still need help let me know.

Mike /b[/quote]

Steve_P _

Hey All - A less tech-savvy workaround I found when I was trying to open daily reports from an entire year was that you can go to the open dialog box, and select about 50 files (might be different for you), open them, then go back to the open dialog box, open 50 more files (then check the 'retain current reports' box), et cetera. 

From my observation, you can keep doing this for at least 365 files  =)

Hope this helps!