1 Reply Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:53 AM by Scott Johnson RSS

ranking based on turn-around times

Charlie Bryan

I'm still trying to figure out how to calculate the 80th percentile from a list of turn-around time (TAT) data. I have a monthly report that I used to measure the average TAT for the members of a workgroup in a hospital laboratory. Knowing the average TAT of each individual is helpful, but I've found people becoming too competitive over improving their TAT by 1 or 2 minutes so they would be in "first" place the next month. I like the friendly competition, but I also don't need people working so fast that they make mistakes analyzing laboratory specimens. What I'd prefer to do is rank everyone's average TAT on a percentile basis against all TAT data points. There could be as many as 5000 specimens analyzed each month, and I'd like to know where each worker's average TAT ranks against all the specimens. Specifically, I'd like to answer this question: What is the average TAT when 80% of someone's work is completed? I want to be able to show people that 80% of the time, they complete their work in X number of minutes.

I have already developed a way to show what percent of someone's work is completed within certain time windows (such as < 15 minutes, < 30 minutes, < 45 minutes, < 60 minutes, and > 60 minutes). From this, I can roughly guess where their 80% mark would fall. For example, if someone finishes 72% of their work in < 30 minutes, and they finish 90% of their work in < 45 minutes, then they should have 80% of their work done somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes. I'd like to be able to calculate the exact time that 80% of their work is done.

[size="1"][ April 27, 2005, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: Charlie Bryan ][/size]

• ranking based on turn-around times
          Scott Johnson

It looks like the solution to your question is very easy to look at and calculate.  Sort the information by time, take 80% of the total population and then take the time from whatever record number that ends up being.  This would give you the time it takes that person to do 80% of their work.  The difficulty with Monarch is that it doesn't have alot of functionality to work between records.  As far as I know there isn't a way to use totals or sums from other records in a calculated field.  You may be able to create a table from the information and then use some of the lookup functions to work your way around it, but I'm not sure how you could get Monarch to calculate it, but I am sure there is a way, usually there is.

Scott