11 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:53 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Text Exporting Failure

PamHR _

I previously used Monarch Pro 8.0 and never had problems exporting as text delimited.  Since I have upgraded to 9.0 Pro every time I try to export as text I get the message "Export Failed".  I can export to an excel format, but some times the record number is too high to use in Excel.  Does anyone else have this problem?  Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

PamHR

• Text Exporting Failure
          Data Kruncher

Hi Pam,

I'm not certain as to why it is that exporting text fails, but for the Excel solution go to the Options menu and select Export and Clipboard...

Now open the dropdown list for XLS files and select either Excel 97+ (Monarch V8) or Excel 97+ (Monarch V9). It's likely set to Excel 3.0 now.

This setting is model specific, so you may need to change this in a number of your models.

HTH,

Kruncher

• Text Exporting Failure
            PamHR _

Data,

Thanks for the info, but I don't have a problem exporting into Excel. I work with large amounts of data and sometimes I might go over the 65k record limit that Excel has.  I can export straight to a DB but I prefer the option of setting the format of my fields when importing into Access.  So I really would like to try and fix the text export error.

Thanks,

PamHR

• Text Exporting Failure
              Data Kruncher

Sorry, every time I read about problems exporting to Excel I automatically think of the old limit of 16,000 some rows.   redface.gif[/img]

• Text Exporting Failure
                Grant Perkins

Pam,

Is this a 'manual' export problem or something that happens in a project export?

What settings do you have in the export options?

Which delimit character are you using?

How many fields in the export and how many records?

I'll see if I have anything that might produce something similar and run some tests.

Are you creating a new file or overwriting and existing one?

Finally, is it safe to assume that your process  has correct permissions to access the location you are trying to create the file?

Grant

• Text Exporting Failure
                  PamHR _

Grant,

I usually do a manual export but did try using a project export and I had the same problems.

For my text export options I have ( for delimited- which I have set up as default) 1) put quotes around character field values 2) use semicolon as delimiter 3) format dates as yyyy-mm-dd.  I use the semicolon as the delimiter. The number of fields and records vary with each report.  For the report I work the most it contains 25 fields and varies of number of records.  But I don't think it is an issue dealing with the size because when I work with a small file ( 20 records and 5 fields) I still can't export as text. I am creating new files.  Yes I have permission to access all folders and drives on our network.

I hope that answered all your questions.  Thank you so much.

PamHR

• Text Exporting Failure
                    Grant Perkins

Hi Pam,

That does not sound too unusual, although using colon as delimiter is not common as far as I know.

A few things have cropped up today  - I will try to play around later and see what happens.

Grant

• Text Exporting Failure
                      Grant Perkins

Pam,

I ran a couple of tests with slightly different settings (you did not mention whether you used the end of file character and I used a file without any full dates in the data ...) but saw no problems.

Are you using Monarch as a stand alone install or as part of a network installation? (I am stand alone.)

If you are a network installation my guess would be that there are some less than obvious permissions settings for Monarch resulting from the installation on your network configuration. Such things are not uncommon it seems (Sorry, I have no experience with network installaitons of Monarch)

If you are using stand alone that is more of a puzzle.

Grabbing at straws - what are you using for a file extension? Are you creating a new file name each time or overwriting an existing file?

Grant

• Text Exporting Failure
                        PamHR _

Grant,

Yes I am using an end of file character and the file extenstion I use is just a plain txt extention. I am using a Stand Alone version.  I am the only person on the network who uses Monarch.  I just thought of something the may possibly help.  The reason I updated to ver 9.0 pro was I had a pdf file that we had to extract the data from.  We were in a hurry for the data and instead of upgrading to the new version ( our tech guy said this would take longer) we just purchased off the web the download of the complete 9.0. I haven't changed any of the text export options from when I used them in the previous Monarch version.  I do create a new file each time.  I can export into Excel and an Access DB with no problems what so ever, just when I try to export as a text file does my export fail.

Thanks again for your help.

PamHR

• Text Exporting Failure
                          Grant Perkins

Pam,

I don't think the options for TEXT exports would have much effect - the settings for Excel outputs have some greater differences but you don't have a problem with that.

If you export as text but leave the file extension as .txt I think you will find the export is always a fixed width output. Changing the export file extension will make it delimited unless you use an extension which is commonly treated as 'known' in Windows associations. For example a .csv extension on my system is associated with Excel by default. So If I save the file as .csv, even with a semicolon as the separator, I get a semicolon separated text file if I double clicked it would open using Excel.

When you save as text, at the point you specify the output file location and name, click the folder icon to the right of the entry box and set the output File Type to Delimited and see if that changes anything (unless you have already done that in which case it may not be worth repeating.)

Given that I am in the same position as you - stand alone system - and I assume you have the problem even if you are saving to a local disk on your machine, I am puzzled that I don't see the same problem here.

That may suggest there is some form of installation glitch but I can't imagine what it would be. I would be surprised if it was related to a web download delivery.

Let us know the answers to the txt vs other extension check. Also whether there is evidence any part of the export at its destination location  even though it fails (I assume not but always worth asking the question.)

Grant

[size="1"][ May 04, 2007, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Grant Perkins ][/size]

• Text Exporting Failure
                            PamHR _

Grant,

Boy is my face red  redface.gif[/img] 

After reading about the txt extension and it becoming fixed width by default instead of delimited, I had another report to export and this time check everything.  I noticed that when it is delimited by default the extension that is the default is just *.  So this time I actually typed in the extension of txt and it worked!   

Thank you ever so much.

PamHR

• Text Exporting Failure
                              Grant Perkins

Hi Pam,

No need for red faces - it is a little obscure and easy to forget even when one remembers there is something a slightly different about text exports.

Nevertheless I still don't get an 'Export Failed' message  - just the wrong sort of file to that which I was planning to produce. Another puzzle.

Glad you have a resolution that you can work with.

Grant