2 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:52 AM by Sunapee _ RSS

Open Database - numeric field

debijo _

I have a large CSV file that I am opening as a database.  It is from permon...  So, the first field is a date and the rest are numeric.  But when I open it inside Monarch, they all come across as character fields.  I know I can convert them all to numeric, but I have 65.  Is there anyway to tell the database when you import it that the fields are numeric?

Thanks in advance,

Debi

• Open Database - numeric field
          Grant Perkins

Debi,

Are the fields "quoted" in the file? If so they would be treated as text. If so:

You could consider using MSRP.exe to strip all the " marks before lreading the file

You may be able to do the job once and create a model with numerics defined then apply the model when loading the file.

If the fields are NOT quoted it suggests that there may be some non numeric values somewhere (header row? NULL's in the data?) that are being interpreted to mean that all fields are alpha.

Other than that Version 8 may have something to offer.

Grant

Originally posted by debijo:

I have a large CSV file that I am opening as a database.  It is from permon...  So, the first field is a date and the rest are numeric.  But when I open it inside Monarch, they all come across as character fields.  I know I can convert them all to numeric, but I have 65.  Is there anyway to tell the database when you import it that the fields are numeric?

Thanks in advance,

Debi

7.01 /b[/quote]

• Open Database - numeric field
            Sunapee _

V8 lets you change the field type when working with CSV files. The initial import will make some assumptions about data type. Once in table view, you can change the field type.  Memo is also an available field type here!