13 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:52 AM by debijo _ RSS

Model Failed to load completly

debijo _

Opening Monarch up from a command line (by the way, it behaves the same if I open all up GUI)

Monarch /rpt:"c:     empjall.9.log" /mod:"h:modelsv9-backuplog-stats2.mod" /S

I get this:

Model file "h:modelsv9-backuplog-stats2.mod" failed to load completely.  Do you want to continue anyway?

It used to work.  I make a small change, now it does this.  I put the old one back, it worked.  Made the small change (modified the formula in a calculated field) and it's giving this error again.  Is the model too big or something? 

Please help.

Thanks,

Debi

Monarch Pro V 7.01

Windows 2000 Professional SP4

• Model Failed to load completly
          Bruce _

Debi

One thing to check is this log file a huge file & grows each day?

Monarch has to open temp files that are about twice the size of the input file, so the location of this temp directory might be runnng out of room. Using more functions will make this temp file grow even more.

Clean out this directory or make sure you have full read/ write access to it. Monarch can handle HUGE files, as long it has enough disk space to work with.

Depending on your computer this temp file could be in differnt places, so check the registry settings & look for "workpath". You don't need to change this setting (and doing so could kill your machine if you are not sure what you're doing!), just find out what directory Monarch writes to.

Let us know if this helps.

Good luck

debijo _

The txt file is 1 meg.  The model is 31k and I have only a c: drive with over 7 gig free.  The workpath is on C: and I do have full control.

Thanks,

Debi

Grant Perkins

Debi,

I know this is rather basic - but ...

If the only change is the formula I think the problem may be related to that - the file sizes certainly do not look excessive.

Can you post the before and after formula and an indication of what it is intended to do?

Grant

debijo _

Well, I'd love to...  But since I can't open the new model, I can't exactly show you....

So, I tried to open up the file with the model as it was 2 months ago (I use the model daily) but now the old one won't work either.  No changes!  Same message.  I tried a different report (even one of the standard samples) but the model still won't open, same message as before.

ERGH!!!! This was a very difficult model to make.  I've been using it for years.  Now all of a sudden.

Debi

Grant Perkins

Debi,

You can always get back to the model files and extract the formulae and so on - just make sure you have safe copies of both versions somewhere. Are they .mod or .xmod files?

It does sound like a system problem somewhere - lack of work space being the normal thing to check first. Also the setting for system memory available for processes. Are you a stand alone or network implementation?

Do you shut down your PC/Workstation every day? If not it may be worth closing everything and trying a re-boot just to be sure that this is not some sort of memory based glitch.

While you are at it you might consider updating to 7.02 (download from the Datawatch web site) ini order to take advantage of whatever that contains that is different to you 7.01 program. Probably not significant but I cannot recall what the differences are and keeping up with the releases seems like a good idea.

Which operating system does your PC run?

Lets see where those ideas lead you and pick up on it again later.

Grant

Bruce _

Debi

Along Grant's line of thought, you should be able to open the mod (or xmod) in note pad so you can at least look at what you did and not lose everything.

Recreate the model from scratch & see if you still get the same error. I seem to recall an error a while ago on version 7.00 (or 7.01) that was very similar to yours. Once I re-created the model (thankfully it was a simle one) & updated to 7.02 the problem never came back.

Good luck

smile.gif[/img]

debijo _

Thanks for the ideas.  I have tried it on both my PC's...  It is local install on both.  Both are Windows 2000 Professional, both error the same way.  I'll let you know if I go through all this and the problem reoccurs. 

Debi

Grant Perkins

That seems to eliminate a system problem. Were both machines using the same file(s) (or a copy of the same file(s)?)

Do you have a saved copy of the original working model?

I too vaguely remember a problem like this when testing V7 Beta but having recreated the model file the probelm went away and never returned.

I suspected a corruption of the model file but with no idea how it may have occurred. You can open .mod files with Notepad or Wordpad (not too easy to interpret though) and .xmod file are visible through a browser or through Model Information if you can get to it with the model loaded as far as it goes.

Grant

debijo _

Okay...  I finally found an older version that would open.  So, then I change the formula for 3 calculated fields and add 1.  The formulas are easy.  The one I added looks like this:

if(workstation="ABFS1","860  ABFS1",

if(left(,5)="ABFS2","861  ABFS2",

if(left(,6)="ABEML1","870  ABEML1",

if(left(,6)="ABTSL1","875  ABTSL1",

if(left(,5)="ABMB1","895  ABMB1",

if(left(,5)="ABMB2","896  ABMB2",

if(left(,6)="ABCXF1","890  ABCXF1",

if(left(,6)="ABCXF2","891  ABCXF2",

if(left(,7)="ABCXA01","880  ABCXA01",

if(left(,7)="ABCXA02","881  ABCXA02",

if(left(workstation,5)="DDB1 ".or.left(workstation,10)="DHCP-21-33","550  DDB1",

"?")))))))))))

And the other 3 are very similiar.  As soon as I save it, close Monarch and go back in, I get the model failed to load completely.

I'm clueless.  It must not like something.  I've made this change 3 times now with the same result each time. 

Thanks,

Debi

debijo _

Okay....  I took out 14 of the if statements in 1 of the formulas, and now the model works.  So, it sounds like there is a limit....  Can anyone confirm?  Or do you have another idea?

At least it's working again!  YEAH!!!

Thanks,

Debi

Bruce _

Debi

Glad you found the problem. There is a limit but I don't recall what it is & My Monrach is at the office. Don't forget to to update to 7.02 (it's free!)

Regards,

Grant Perkins

Debi,

You can nest up to 36 expression statements.

Have a look in the Help system - Technical Specifications section. There are some other limits, though you would not normally expect to hit them!

The Tech Specs may give you a clue about what is happening.

I am just wondering if your data is fairly static, other than having some additions from time to time. If it is it might be worth considering using lookup tables (internal or external as you have Pro) rather than the IF() statement. No limits to worry about then.

Hoping this helps.

Grant

Originally posted by debijo:

Okay....  I took out 14 of the if statements in 1 of the formulas, and now the model works.  So, it sounds like there is a limit....  Can anyone confirm?  Or do you have another idea?

At least it's working again!  YEAH!!!

Thanks,

Debi /b[/quote]

debijo _

I'll play with the external lookups, thanks Grant.  These models are leftover from the olden days.  As I've been a Monarch user for a LONG Time.  Seen several versions.  It just keeps getting better.   smile.gif[/img]