10 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:52 AM by cticompserv _ RSS

Autoscript in V8????

Sue@Tiffen _

Is there an autoscript (or something similar) feature in V8?

• Autoscript in V8????
          Grant Perkins

Hi Sue and welcome to the forum.

Originally posted by Sue@Tiffen:

Is there an autoscript (or something similar) feature in V8? /b[/quote]Have a look at Chapter 9 of the embedded Help for Monarch 8. I think it covers everything on offer.

Autoscript is no longer a requirement. All you need to do is generate a command line or create a batch file (.bat) and use the commands and parameters available.

I'm guessing you are familiar with an older version of Monarch and the Autoscript commands. You should find much more to play with in V8.

Have fun!

Grant

• Autoscript in V8????
              cticompserv _

So, Autoscript was retired and no longer included.  Where is the documentation that explains what replaced it?  I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem with Autoscript bat files.  Can Autoscript files be used with Monarch or do they have to be rewritten?

Kent

• Autoscript in V8????
                  Grant Perkins

Hi Kent and welcome to the forum!

The first port of call to suggest is the Help file in Monarch. The section relating to 'Command lines' if my memory is right.

If you have already found that let us know, otherwise see if it makes any sense of your problem.

Even if there is nothing there to help it will help you to familiarise with what V8 offers. After which, if you have no solution, I would suggest posting the details of your problem so that people can come up with more suggestions. It may simply be that you need to specify more option parameters for V8 than were required previously.

HTH.

Grant

• Autoscript in V8????
                      cticompserv _

First of all, I know nothing about Monarch but it is used in my company.  I set up a new user (User A) last week and the person (User B) who was training her on Monarch notified me that the scripts she uses don't work correctly for User A.  User B can log on as herself and the scripts run correctly.  I've checked network and local user permissions, and configured Monarch with the same defaults as User B.

Do the bat files actually need Autoscript?  They can just be executed on their own, right?

Kent

• Autoscript in V8????
                          Grant Perkins

Ah!

The way your post read I thought you already used Autoscript. My apologies for the assumption.

Whether or not you need autoscript depends on which version of Monarch you are running. You are right that  autoscript is not a requirement for V8 and the batch files can be executed directly.

Does the script just not do anything or does it kick off but fail?

Grant

• Autoscript in V8????
                              cticompserv _

I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear.  We are using version 9.0 but the person doing the training, User B, has used Autoscript since the being of time and we didn't know that it's no longer included.

Back to my troubleshooting question.  I'm not sure what the script is doing.  When User A runs them from Autoscript the windows open and close so fast that I can't see any messages.  I'm experimenting on my own computer and I get the message, 'MONARCH' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.  This is probably because Monarch isn't in my path setting.

Command line operations in a Windows environment???  Was Monarch ported from Unix or some other useful, well-thought-out OS?

Kent

• Autoscript in V8????
                                  Grant Perkins

I would guess that MONARCH is not in any new user path settings by default these days - but I could be wrong.

If the script has been around for a while it probably assumes the path will be set up. You could try making an explicit selection for the program using the full path and putting the entire string in quotes. A bit if a paid on a network installation (is it a network install or local PC install using networked data storage?) but would help to identify the source of the problem even if only by eliminating a possibility.

Unix? You don't remember DOS then ...?

Grant.

• Autoscript in V8????
                                    Nick Osdale-Popa

Command line operations in a Windows environment???  Was Monarch ported from Unix or some other useful, well-thought-out OS?

Kent[/QUOTE]

Don't knock the command line! There are a multitude of administration task that can be better accomplished via the command line that the GUI just can't do.