7 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:52 AM by NewToWatch _ RSS

New to Monarch

NewToWatch _

Hello

As a newbie to Monarch I would like to ask what is the best way to get started. I will be required to take HTML page from web and make a  template which would become a similar report daily..Are there any step by step books etc and if so what would be recommended.

I will be using version 6.01.

Have ZERO experience with Monarch. I use Excel on a daily basis.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/comments

NewToWatch Al

• New to Monarch
          NewToWatch _

Hello

As a newbie to Monarch I would like to ask what is the best way to get started. I will be required to take HTML page from web and make a  template which would become a similar report daily..Are there any step by step books etc and if so what would be recommended.

I will be using version 6.01.

Have ZERO experience with Monarch. I use Excel on a daily basis.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/comments

NewToWatch Al

• New to Monarch
            joey

I learned by watching someoene else build a simple model, then using the help file to expand that.

If that's not an option the Learning Guide (purple with V8) is a good start.

• New to Monarch
              joey

I learned by watching someoene else build a simple model, then using the help file to expand that.

If that's not an option the Learning Guide (purple with V8) is a good start.

• New to Monarch
                Grant Perkins

Hi,

You mention V6 but your profile suggests you may have V7.

Either way you will need a Pro version (not Standard) to work with HTML files and I presume you have that.

If not get your boss to do himself and you a big favour and get a copy of V8 Pro.

I say this for two reasons.

1. There are some useful functionality updates between V6 and V8 in relation to HTML handling and the rest of the functionality offers a large advantage as well.

2. You will get a copy of the Learning Guide which is a great way to introduce yourself to Monarch and it contains a chapter related to building models for use with HTML pages (in addition to chapters covering all the other functionality available.)

The Learning Guide is a great step by step introduction from which you can develop your skill using your own ideas and approaches over time and possibly with the support of this forum.

Basic Monarch work is easy to learn using the Guide and the Help files and unless you are very unlucky with the tasks you are allocated should be enough to get you through most projects.

Now part of the reason I suggest the upgrade is that I bet no one knows where the Learning Guide is for you V6 (or V7?) installation. Getting V8 should mean you don't have to waste time looking for it!

It occurs to me that you may be taking over from someone who has already used Monarch in your organisation for the purpose of extracting information from html files. Another great way to see how things can work is, similar to Joel's comments, look at an existing use and see how it works. However it is still a good idea to have some basic introductory training, or experimentation with the training guide to hand, first. Or someone who can show and explain how a Monarch model works.

HTH.

Grant

• New to Monarch
                  Grant Perkins

Hi,

You mention V6 but your profile suggests you may have V7.

Either way you will need a Pro version (not Standard) to work with HTML files and I presume you have that.

If not get your boss to do himself and you a big favour and get a copy of V8 Pro.

I say this for two reasons.

1. There are some useful functionality updates between V6 and V8 in relation to HTML handling and the rest of the functionality offers a large advantage as well.

2. You will get a copy of the Learning Guide which is a great way to introduce yourself to Monarch and it contains a chapter related to building models for use with HTML pages (in addition to chapters covering all the other functionality available.)

The Learning Guide is a great step by step introduction from which you can develop your skill using your own ideas and approaches over time and possibly with the support of this forum.

Basic Monarch work is easy to learn using the Guide and the Help files and unless you are very unlucky with the tasks you are allocated should be enough to get you through most projects.

Now part of the reason I suggest the upgrade is that I bet no one knows where the Learning Guide is for you V6 (or V7?) installation. Getting V8 should mean you don't have to waste time looking for it!

It occurs to me that you may be taking over from someone who has already used Monarch in your organisation for the purpose of extracting information from html files. Another great way to see how things can work is, similar to Joel's comments, look at an existing use and see how it works. However it is still a good idea to have some basic introductory training, or experimentation with the training guide to hand, first. Or someone who can show and explain how a Monarch model works.

HTH.

Grant

• New to Monarch
                    NewToWatch _

Hello Gentlemen

It is 6.01 with win xp

unfortunately there are no known or admitted users in the office. Will have to see what I can come up.

Thank You for taking the time to respond to my

questions. At least I now know I better find some models or templates and see what I can deduce before attempting....

May the New Year find You and Yours Well!

New To Watch, Al

• New to Monarch
                      NewToWatch _

Hello Gentlemen

It is 6.01 with win xp

unfortunately there are no known or admitted users in the office. Will have to see what I can come up.

Thank You for taking the time to respond to my

questions. At least I now know I better find some models or templates and see what I can deduce before attempting....

May the New Year find You and Yours Well!

New To Watch, Al