7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2015 9:40 AM by Olly Bond RSS

Exclude special characters

Karla _

Hello,

I hope someone can help. It's been a few years since I used monarch and now I'm trying to remember 'old' concepts.

Based on the data dump below, I want to exclude the parenthesis from appearing in the download but I need to keep the negative sign which appears on the same column.

Amount 

-

29,071.79)

29,476.16-)

Thanks,

Karla

• Exclude special characters
          Karla _

Hello,

I hope someone can help. It's been a few years since I used monarch and now I'm trying to remember 'old' concepts.

Based on the data dump below, I want to exclude the parenthesis from appearing in the download but I need to keep the negative sign which appears on the same column.

Amount 

-

29,071.79)

29,476.16-)

Thanks,

Karla

Grant Perkins

Karla,

I note you have V8.

A couple of ideas come to mind.

If you can afford to strip all parentheses from the file before processing you could use the Monarch Utility to do just that. (equivalent to the previously offered MSRP.EXE utility if you were familiiar with it.) But I suspect you may have some problems with that idea.

My second suggestion would be along the lines of mapping the field with the extra character required after the numerics to capture the minus sign and then using a calculated field to get you final field output using the STRIP function to remove the ")" character (and anything else that might be usefully stripped!).

Do either of those ideas work for you?

HTH.

Grant

Edit to add;

val(Strip(,")"))

seems to work assuming the initial definition is a character field and you want you final field to be numeric.

Grant Perkins

Karla,

I note you have V8.

A couple of ideas come to mind.

If you can afford to strip all parentheses from the file before processing you could use the Monarch Utility to do just that. (equivalent to the previously offered MSRP.EXE utility if you were familiiar with it.) But I suspect you may have some problems with that idea.

My second suggestion would be along the lines of mapping the field with the extra character required after the numerics to capture the minus sign and then using a calculated field to get you final field output using the STRIP function to remove the ")" character (and anything else that might be usefully stripped!).

Do either of those ideas work for you?

HTH.

Grant

Edit to add;

val(Strip(,")"))

seems to work assuming the initial definition is a character field and you want you final field to be numeric.

Karla _

It works...Thanks for the input Grant.

Karla _

It works...Thanks for the input Grant.