13 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:52 AM by Ray M RSS

Monarch Training

Ray M

Does anyone know of a decent book for learning Monarch?

• Monarch Training
          Ray M

Does anyone know of a decent book for learning Monarch?

• Monarch Training
            Grant Perkins

Ray,

Do you have access to the Learning Guide that is supplied with Monarch? I found that to be an excellent staring point when I first used Monarch some years ago and it has improved with each new release.

True, it can't cover everything with specific examples since it is in the nature of the application of Monarch that there will always be new and varied requirements and we all need different parts of Monarch functionality from time to time.

Many people never have more than a fairly basic and simple requirement for their Monarch use. But others use it to solve unique and challenging reporting and data conversion problems. I found a lot of inspiration for new approaches when I joined this forum and also subscribed to the Monarch Report. (I found even more inspiration when I receive the CD's produced for the annual user conference! Some excellent solutions are presented at those meetings.) Given the ideas it is a simple matter to consider how they might apply to some of the projects I have and use the embedded Help examples to apply the techniques effectively.

There have been some discussions in this forum about producing a book but I am not sure how that has progressed. I had considered editing one  myself but quite honestly I could not see a way to structure it so that it to be genrally useful to the broad spectrum of Monarch users. Certainly not in a way that would be a significant advance over the Learning Guide. 

Bear in mind that Monarch is very much a set of tools to be used, flexibly, according to requirements.

If you know what you are starting with and you also know what you need to get out as the finished product it is a matter of seeking the best tools in the Monarch toolbox for the task.

The Learning Guide will show you how to handle the tools. The Help, especially for the detailed tools like the Functions, will give good insight into what the individual tools can achieve. Put them together in the right order for your specific needs and it can be amazing what possibilites appear.

If you have not had a chance to go through the Learning Guide I would recommend it as a starting point. Pick the sections you need the most if you already have a basic knowledge.

If you need answers to more 'How do I do this?' questions after that post the questions on here and see what answers you get. y guess is that 2 or 3 questions will provide you with a wealth of new ideas to apply to your future Monarch projects.

HTH.

Grant

• Monarch Training
              Grant Perkins

Ray,

Do you have access to the Learning Guide that is supplied with Monarch? I found that to be an excellent staring point when I first used Monarch some years ago and it has improved with each new release.

True, it can't cover everything with specific examples since it is in the nature of the application of Monarch that there will always be new and varied requirements and we all need different parts of Monarch functionality from time to time.

Many people never have more than a fairly basic and simple requirement for their Monarch use. But others use it to solve unique and challenging reporting and data conversion problems. I found a lot of inspiration for new approaches when I joined this forum and also subscribed to the Monarch Report. (I found even more inspiration when I receive the CD's produced for the annual user conference! Some excellent solutions are presented at those meetings.) Given the ideas it is a simple matter to consider how they might apply to some of the projects I have and use the embedded Help examples to apply the techniques effectively.

There have been some discussions in this forum about producing a book but I am not sure how that has progressed. I had considered editing one  myself but quite honestly I could not see a way to structure it so that it to be genrally useful to the broad spectrum of Monarch users. Certainly not in a way that would be a significant advance over the Learning Guide. 

Bear in mind that Monarch is very much a set of tools to be used, flexibly, according to requirements.

If you know what you are starting with and you also know what you need to get out as the finished product it is a matter of seeking the best tools in the Monarch toolbox for the task.

The Learning Guide will show you how to handle the tools. The Help, especially for the detailed tools like the Functions, will give good insight into what the individual tools can achieve. Put them together in the right order for your specific needs and it can be amazing what possibilites appear.

If you have not had a chance to go through the Learning Guide I would recommend it as a starting point. Pick the sections you need the most if you already have a basic knowledge.

If you need answers to more 'How do I do this?' questions after that post the questions on here and see what answers you get. y guess is that 2 or 3 questions will provide you with a wealth of new ideas to apply to your future Monarch projects.

HTH.

Grant

• Monarch Training
                Ray M

Where is the learning guide?  How would I get access?

• Monarch Training
                  Ray M

Where is the learning guide?  How would I get access?

• Monarch Training
                    Grant Perkins

Originally posted by Ray M:

Where is the learning guide?  How would I get access? /b[/quote]Unless things have changed the individual licence versions include a printed Training Guide book in the box.

If you have a corporate network system I would guess that the Training Guide is still included but I could only speculate about where the physical documentation may have ended up. I guess you could make some enquiries internally.

I have never had the need to discover whether additional copies of the training guide can be purchased. Maybe that would be the best solution for you? (I'm guessing that any original documentation arriving at the company may have been 'filed' irretrievably!      )

HTH.

Grant

• Monarch Training
                      Grant Perkins

Originally posted by Ray M:

Where is the learning guide?  How would I get access? /b[/quote]Unless things have changed the individual licence versions include a printed Training Guide book in the box.

If you have a corporate network system I would guess that the Training Guide is still included but I could only speculate about where the physical documentation may have ended up. I guess you could make some enquiries internally.

I have never had the need to discover whether additional copies of the training guide can be purchased. Maybe that would be the best solution for you? (I'm guessing that any original documentation arriving at the company may have been 'filed' irretrievably!      )

HTH.

Grant

• Monarch Training
                        Ray M

Unfortunately All of the Documentation and original CD's were "Misplaced" by previous IT staff.  I was able to get a replacement CD as the original purchaser is still here but nothing else is available.  Any other ideas?

• Monarch Training
                          Ray M

Unfortunately All of the Documentation and original CD's were "Misplaced" by previous IT staff.  I was able to get a replacement CD as the original purchaser is still here but nothing else is available.  Any other ideas?

• Monarch Training
                            Grant Perkins

Any other ideas? /b[/quote]In no particular order and with no personal interests to pursue the options seem to be

Double check that a copy of the training guide cannot be supplied even for payment (which seems to be the implication if your last post if I read it right.)

Attend a training course where appropriate documentation is, I believe, included.

Obtain another copy of Monarch and share the training guide.

Seek another Monarch user who may have a spare copy of the training guide.

Give up on the training guide as such and work from the embedded help which does contain all the information required and uses many of the included training files for its sample screens. It lacks only the 'padding' that turns fairly raw help text into a trainnig or self teaching session  - like specific instructions about which file and model to use for which lesson, exactly what to do to follow the lesson and what to do at the end of the lesson to prepare for the next lesson.

In many ways this is quite a good thing since you will need to work with your own reports and in your own way and if you walk through the help files using your reports the general principles may become clear quite quickly and allow you to progress rapidly, using your own creativity to interpret what you require, without going through the Training Guide from front to back.

So long as you keep thinking "What else can I do with this?" you should soon work out what you need to work out.

The training courses get enthusiastic responses as well - the sessions I have attended at conferences were impressively presented and very useful. I would imagine a full course maintains that standard.

HTH in some way.

Grant

• Monarch Training
                              Grant Perkins

Any other ideas? /b[/quote]In no particular order and with no personal interests to pursue the options seem to be

Double check that a copy of the training guide cannot be supplied even for payment (which seems to be the implication if your last post if I read it right.)

Attend a training course where appropriate documentation is, I believe, included.

Obtain another copy of Monarch and share the training guide.

Seek another Monarch user who may have a spare copy of the training guide.

Give up on the training guide as such and work from the embedded help which does contain all the information required and uses many of the included training files for its sample screens. It lacks only the 'padding' that turns fairly raw help text into a trainnig or self teaching session  - like specific instructions about which file and model to use for which lesson, exactly what to do to follow the lesson and what to do at the end of the lesson to prepare for the next lesson.

In many ways this is quite a good thing since you will need to work with your own reports and in your own way and if you walk through the help files using your reports the general principles may become clear quite quickly and allow you to progress rapidly, using your own creativity to interpret what you require, without going through the Training Guide from front to back.

So long as you keep thinking "What else can I do with this?" you should soon work out what you need to work out.

The training courses get enthusiastic responses as well - the sessions I have attended at conferences were impressively presented and very useful. I would imagine a full course maintains that standard.

HTH in some way.

Grant

• Monarch Training
                                Ray M

We have the Monarch Version 8 Standard

• Monarch Training
                                  Ray M

We have the Monarch Version 8 Standard