3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:52 AM by Gareth Horton RSS

current date in import file

RDH _

I have an excel spreadsheet that is exported from an application in use by another department.  The file has a date stamp in cell A:1.  The problem is the model I created doesn't work because the column name keeps changing with each new file. There is no way to remove the date stamp using the other application and I tried to filter it on the import but that filter won't save.  This whole process needs to be automated, so it can't simply be removed from the file manually. Any suggestions?

• current date in import file
          RDH _

I have an excel spreadsheet that is exported from an application in use by another department.  The file has a date stamp in cell A:1.  The problem is the model I created doesn't work because the column name keeps changing with each new file. There is no way to remove the date stamp using the other application and I tried to filter it on the import but that filter won't save.  This whole process needs to be automated, so it can't simply be removed from the file manually. Any suggestions?

Gareth Horton

RDH

You mention the filter won't save.

If it works with the filter, then you are probably OK, as the "database import" filter only gets saved in the project, which you may not be doing at the moment.

Create your filter and model, then save a project.

Now when you open the project, the filter will be applied.

This should work for you.

The only other way to do it would be to create a named range in the spreadsheet which excluded the first column and then import from that named range.

Gareth

Originally posted by RDH:

I have an excel spreadsheet that is exported from an application in use by another department.  The file has a date stamp in cell A:1.  The problem is the model I created doesn't work because the column name keeps changing with each new file. There is no way to remove the date stamp using the other application and I tried to filter it on the import but that filter won't save.  This whole process needs to be automated, so it can't simply be removed from the file manually. Any suggestions? /b[/quote]

Gareth Horton

RDH

You mention the filter won't save.

If it works with the filter, then you are probably OK, as the "database import" filter only gets saved in the project, which you may not be doing at the moment.

Create your filter and model, then save a project.

Now when you open the project, the filter will be applied.

This should work for you.

The only other way to do it would be to create a named range in the spreadsheet which excluded the first column and then import from that named range.

Gareth

Originally posted by RDH:

I have an excel spreadsheet that is exported from an application in use by another department.  The file has a date stamp in cell A:1.  The problem is the model I created doesn't work because the column name keeps changing with each new file. There is no way to remove the date stamp using the other application and I tried to filter it on the import but that filter won't save.  This whole process needs to be automated, so it can't simply be removed from the file manually. Any suggestions? /b[/quote]