5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:52 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Multiple report files

Rosie9621 _

I have 45 monthly reports with the same format.  I open the first few within my model and the number of records increase.  However, when I get to 10,053 records, I can never view or export any more.  It is as if there is a limit.  I have plenty of hard drive space available and have increased my virtual memory greatly.  Why can't I get more than 10,053 records?

• Multiple report files
          Rosie9621 _

I have 45 monthly reports with the same format.  I open the first few within my model and the number of records increase.  However, when I get to 10,053 records, I can never view or export any more.  It is as if there is a limit.  I have plenty of hard drive space available and have increased my virtual memory greatly.  Why can't I get more than 10,053 records?

• Multiple report files
            Grant Perkins

Hi,

You don't mention which version of Monarch you are using, however the number of records at which your process seems to get stuck does not instantly suggest that you are hitting any of the technical limits. (See the Help  file and search for Specifications to view a list of the possible limits which might come into play for some but seem unlikely here.)

A few random ideas to see if they turn over any rocks;

Do you get the same result with the same number of records included every month? (Are the reports likely to be that consistent every month?)

Is it possible that some of your reports are not being mapped by the model and so the record they should contain are not being picked?

How many fields will your table contain if all the reports are read in successfully?

Does the model do a lot of processing and create a lot of calculated fields?

Presumably you can see the last successfully created record in the table? Does that tell you anything interesting? Does it coincide with the end or middle of a report?

There are some historic constraints on the number of records that can be exported to certain applications but they don't seem to be the primary problem here since from what you say you are not getting that far before the input stops. Also the number does not look familiar.

Let's see if anything comes to mind prompted by the answers to the questions.

Grant

• Multiple report files
              Grant Perkins

Hi,

You don't mention which version of Monarch you are using, however the number of records at which your process seems to get stuck does not instantly suggest that you are hitting any of the technical limits. (See the Help  file and search for Specifications to view a list of the possible limits which might come into play for some but seem unlikely here.)

A few random ideas to see if they turn over any rocks;

Do you get the same result with the same number of records included every month? (Are the reports likely to be that consistent every month?)

Is it possible that some of your reports are not being mapped by the model and so the record they should contain are not being picked?

How many fields will your table contain if all the reports are read in successfully?

Does the model do a lot of processing and create a lot of calculated fields?

Presumably you can see the last successfully created record in the table? Does that tell you anything interesting? Does it coincide with the end or middle of a report?

There are some historic constraints on the number of records that can be exported to certain applications but they don't seem to be the primary problem here since from what you say you are not getting that far before the input stops. Also the number does not look familiar.

Let's see if anything comes to mind prompted by the answers to the questions.

Grant

• Multiple report files
                Grant Perkins

This information comes from the Version 8 Help file.

"Working with Reports"

the "Opening multiple instances of a report"

Note: The Open Reports or Projects dialog maintains a buffer of 16384 characters (increased from 2048 characters in V6) that it uses to temporarily store the path to the report folder along with the names of the report files you select. The buffer should be large enough for most practical use, but it is possible to reach the limit by selecting a large number of files or by selecting several files with very long names. If you exceed the limit, Monarch will not open any of the files you selected. In this case, open only some of the files, then select File, Open Report again to select the rest.[/b]

I am wondering if the problem you see is related to the buffer length in some way. Maybe not but it would still be worth considering and eliminating.

HTH.

Grant

• Multiple report files
                  Grant Perkins

This information comes from the Version 8 Help file.

"Working with Reports"

the "Opening multiple instances of a report"

Note: The Open Reports or Projects dialog maintains a buffer of 16384 characters (increased from 2048 characters in V6) that it uses to temporarily store the path to the report folder along with the names of the report files you select. The buffer should be large enough for most practical use, but it is possible to reach the limit by selecting a large number of files or by selecting several files with very long names. If you exceed the limit, Monarch will not open any of the files you selected. In this case, open only some of the files, then select File, Open Report again to select the rest.[/b]

I am wondering if the problem you see is related to the buffer length in some way. Maybe not but it would still be worth considering and eliminating.

HTH.

Grant