7 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:52 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Import Field Listing

jane888 _

Hi, after having created a template, I have to change the field names (35 in total) one by one. Basically, the 35 fields in the report are 5 fields being repeated 7 times. To take a shortcut, I copied the field listing in Template Window to an Excel spreadsheet and made a complete field listing with 35 fields very quickly.  However, when I tried to copy the newly created complete field listing from Excel spreadsheet back to Monarch, I found I was stuck.  Does Monarch have such feature that allows the import of a field listing?  I tried the "Import column screen" but it was grayed out in both Template and Table Windows.  Please help!  :confused:

• Import Field Listing
          jane888 _

Hi, after having created a template, I have to change the field names (35 in total) one by one. Basically, the 35 fields in the report are 5 fields being repeated 7 times. To take a shortcut, I copied the field listing in Template Window to an Excel spreadsheet and made a complete field listing with 35 fields very quickly.  However, when I tried to copy the newly created complete field listing from Excel spreadsheet back to Monarch, I found I was stuck.  Does Monarch have such feature that allows the import of a field listing?  I tried the "Import column screen" but it was grayed out in both Template and Table Windows.  Please help!  :confused:

• Import Field Listing
            Grant Perkins

Jane,

Given that there are a number of things defined behind the scenes with field names they need to be a bit more explicitly controlled than might seem the case. Especially when editing where the integrity of the model might suffer.

I think I understand what you are describing. The only place that I can think of where a cut and past option might be applicable would be for internal lookup tables since they are simple 2 field, single relationship tables.

Bear in mind that when you change the name of a previously created Monarch field Monarch will also ensure that all references to that field in any sorts, filters, calcualted fields and so on are also updated.

When I need to change the names of a number of fields at the same time I mostly use the 'Field List' function from the Edit menu and elsewhere (the number of ways in which it can be accessed has grown with new versions over the years). This allowes the names to be individually changed quite quickly. If you have a list of replacement names available you can simply click on the name and paste in a new name on a field by field basis. For similar names I tend to 'paste' the section of the name that is common to all and then type in the rest.

Does this help at all?

Grant

• Import Field Listing
              Grant Perkins

Jane,

Given that there are a number of things defined behind the scenes with field names they need to be a bit more explicitly controlled than might seem the case. Especially when editing where the integrity of the model might suffer.

I think I understand what you are describing. The only place that I can think of where a cut and past option might be applicable would be for internal lookup tables since they are simple 2 field, single relationship tables.

Bear in mind that when you change the name of a previously created Monarch field Monarch will also ensure that all references to that field in any sorts, filters, calcualted fields and so on are also updated.

When I need to change the names of a number of fields at the same time I mostly use the 'Field List' function from the Edit menu and elsewhere (the number of ways in which it can be accessed has grown with new versions over the years). This allowes the names to be individually changed quite quickly. If you have a list of replacement names available you can simply click on the name and paste in a new name on a field by field basis. For similar names I tend to 'paste' the section of the name that is common to all and then type in the rest.

Does this help at all?

Grant

• Import Field Listing
                jane888 _

Thank you, Grant for confirming what I can do and can't do in Monarch. It's definitely a good help.  It'll be a nice feature if Monarch allows users to copy and paste some field listings previously created in/outside Monarch.

Thanks much.

• Import Field Listing
                  jane888 _

Thank you, Grant for confirming what I can do and can't do in Monarch. It's definitely a good help.  It'll be a nice feature if Monarch allows users to copy and paste some field listings previously created in/outside Monarch.

Thanks much.

• Import Field Listing
                    Grant Perkins

Originally posted by jane888:

It'll be a nice feature if Monarch allows users to copy and paste some field listings previously created in/outside Monarch.

/b[/quote]Jane,

To some extent Monarch does provide field naming defaults on creation.

Where names can be inferred from a database read or similar from a delimited text file (and the like) read in as a database providing it can be identified that the first row holds the field names.

Similarly if one is modelling a report file Monarch does allow some automation potential for field names, although the likelihood of there being anything clearly identifiable to work with is low for most reports.

However I think we are into trickier areas when discussing field name changes for an existing model - for the reasons I outlined previously.

I can only think of one project in my personal experience where field name translation would have been very useful (A database read-in where the first line could be set correctly and usefully from the imported file but the fields also benefited from some 'meaningful' titles for usability.) In that case I would have been most happy with 2 names for the fields - and the option to select which I wanted to display, export and so on.

Maybe others could share their experiences and observations so that we could offer another considered idea for the Future Versions thread?

HTH

Grant

• Import Field Listing
                      Grant Perkins

Originally posted by jane888:

It'll be a nice feature if Monarch allows users to copy and paste some field listings previously created in/outside Monarch.

/b[/quote]Jane,

To some extent Monarch does provide field naming defaults on creation.

Where names can be inferred from a database read or similar from a delimited text file (and the like) read in as a database providing it can be identified that the first row holds the field names.

Similarly if one is modelling a report file Monarch does allow some automation potential for field names, although the likelihood of there being anything clearly identifiable to work with is low for most reports.

However I think we are into trickier areas when discussing field name changes for an existing model - for the reasons I outlined previously.

I can only think of one project in my personal experience where field name translation would have been very useful (A database read-in where the first line could be set correctly and usefully from the imported file but the fields also benefited from some 'meaningful' titles for usability.) In that case I would have been most happy with 2 names for the fields - and the option to select which I wanted to display, export and so on.

Maybe others could share their experiences and observations so that we could offer another considered idea for the Future Versions thread?

HTH

Grant