4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:52 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Monarch Utility - EDI Prep

Kevin Whipp

I'm trying to format an EDI file, specifically a HL7, using the Monarch Utility.  The format auto-detect does not work because the HL7 does not have either an ISA or UNA segment.  It uses  a MSH segment to declare the delimiters.  So I unchecked the auto-detect and entered the delimiters .  My problem is that the segment delimiter is a carrage-return (ASCII 13) character and the Monarch Utility program will only allow a single character.  Any suggestions?

• Monarch Utility - EDI Prep
          Bruce _

Kevin

I am assuming you are using ver 8's Monarch utility.

I would try replacing ASCII 13 (or is it ASCII 13 and ASCII 11 together?) with another character with the "replace all instances of a string with another" function. Use some character that is not used in the EDI as a new delimiter. Then take the processed file back through the EDI prep with the new delimiter.

Let us know if this works or not.

smile.gif[/img]

Kevin Whipp

I am using version 8.  I replaced all CR characters with single-left quote (`) characters.  My manual EDI formatting options were ...

segment delimiter: `

element separator: |

sub element separator: ^

release character: (none)

The utility did two things.

1. Added a space between all of the empty element separators whose element was null.

2. Added a CRLF after each of my single-left quote segment delimiters.

Unless someone has any ideas, I think I am better off trying to do something with my original HL7 file.

Bruce _

Kevin

I know nothing about HL7, but did find  [url="http://itc.musc.edu/wiki/HL7"]A web page[/url] that states the segment delimiter is a pipe character & not CR.

Sorry I can't help with this.

Grant Perkins

Originally posted by Bruce Reed:

Kevin

I know nothing about HL7, but did find  [url="http://itc.musc.edu/wiki/HL7"]A web page[/url] that states the segment delimiter is a pipe character & not CR.

Sorry I can't help with this.

/b[/quote]That's an interesting find Bruce.

Assuming it is accurate rather than a humorous criticism of the standards, it seems that, in reality, almost anything goes for a type 2 HL7.

I'm not sure it would help much but I would be tempted to use the Examine.exe utility to see what is there in terms of character count in a few records. At least it would be very clear whether the records are consistent and indicate precisely what characters are in use.

Grant