13 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:52 AM by Data Kruncher RSS

How to edit a Project in Monarch

SHOH _

I use Monarch 7.00.  I have made a few projects to help automate some of the standard .txt files I'm mining and I need to edit one of my projects that I built.  Specifically, I want to change the name of the file the project has been assigned to export to. 

I know this must be easy and I'm just missing it, but I can't figure out how to edit it. 

If I select "Project and Model Information" from the "File" menu, I can see my project information in the Project tab, I just can't seem to edit it.

• How to edit a Project in Monarch
          SHOH _

I use Monarch 7.00.  I have made a few projects to help automate some of the standard .txt files I'm mining and I need to edit one of my projects that I built.  Specifically, I want to change the name of the file the project has been assigned to export to. 

I know this must be easy and I'm just missing it, but I can't figure out how to edit it. 

If I select "Project and Model Information" from the "File" menu, I can see my project information in the Project tab, I just can't seem to edit it.

Grant Perkins

I think you need the Export wizard or Project Exports (Not the same as a Project in the original sense) if you have 7 Pro.

You may want to consider 7.01 if you have not yet applied the V7 update.

I hope this helps.

Grant

Originally posted by SHOH:

If I select "Project and Model Information" from the "File" menu, I can see my project information in the Project tab, I just can't seem to edit it. /b[/quote]

[size="1"][ September 27, 2004, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: Grant Perkins ][/size]

Grant Perkins

I think you need the Export wizard or Project Exports (Not the same as a Project in the original sense) if you have 7 Pro.

You may want to consider 7.01 if you have not yet applied the V7 update.

I hope this helps.

Grant

If I select "Project and Model Information" from the "File" menu, I can see my project information in the Project tab, I just can't seem to edit it. /b[/quote]

[size="1"][ September 27, 2004, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: Grant Perkins ][/size]

abbarition _

You can open your Project file, switch to Table view, and go to File and Project Exports. Choose your Project Export, and press Edit. When you are finished making your changes, you can save your Project.

I know that works because it's how I have been changing my projects, but I have no idea if it is the best/easiest way!

Hope that helps!

abbarition _

You can open your Project file, switch to Table view, and go to File and Project Exports. Choose your Project Export, and press Edit. When you are finished making your changes, you can save your Project.

I know that works because it's how I have been changing my projects, but I have no idea if it is the best/easiest way!

Hope that helps!

SHOH _

Grant,

I tried this link:

[url="http://www.datawatch.com/vortexmlsupport/downloads.htm"]http://www.datawatch.com/vortexmlsupport/downloads.htm[/url]   

found in this post:

[url="http://mails.datawatch.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000287"]http://mails.datawatch.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000287[/url] 

but I get a 'page not found error'.  Is there another way to get the 7.01 patch?

abbarition:

Yes, that works for the export.  I was hoping the solution would have encompassed editing the project itself because now I have a follow up question. 

How do I edit the name of the report my project picks from?

[size="1"][ February 09, 2006, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: Mary Lou Sullivan ][/size]

SHOH _

Grant,

I tried this link:

[url="http://www.datawatch.com/vortexmlsupport/downloads.htm"]http://www.datawatch.com/vortexmlsupport/downloads.htm[/url]   

found in this post:

[url="http://mails.datawatch.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000287"]http://mails.datawatch.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000287[/url] 

but I get a 'page not found error'.  Is there another way to get the 7.01 patch?

abbarition:

Yes, that works for the export.  I was hoping the solution would have encompassed editing the project itself because now I have a follow up question. 

How do I edit the name of the report my project picks from?

[size="1"][ February 09, 2006, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: Mary Lou Sullivan ][/size]

Grant Perkins

To change the report name you can either do it internally by opening the project, selecting a different report (and model?) the then save it with the same name or with a 'save as' name. However I think that might be counter productive since all of the exports may need to be changed as well.

You could also simply edit (carefully) the .prj or .xprj file using, for example, Notepad.

But it really does depend on what you are hoping to achieve.

Projects are really designed to assist with repetitive processing first and foremost.

If you have partially repetitive processing - for example the same process and outputs but a different input file each time - Projects are OK but a programmed front end which allows the user to select a report might be better.

If the input file changes AND the export files also need to have different names then life gets more interesting still.

It may then be worth leaving the Monarch Project with fixed names and controlling the input file selection process (file with variable but identifiable name) so that whatever file is to be used is renamed to the known file name in the Project.

After running the project to conclusion with known file name exports the exports can then be renamed and distributed.

In essence I am describing some of the core functionality of Monarch Data Pump. If your process volumes are reasonably large, say 10 reports a day, it could be a good idea to take a look at Data Pump for a cost effective step forward.

If the volumes are less than that there are a few free/low cost utilities around that can deal with simple scheduling or some quite complex file renaming rules. They can be embedded in scripts if required. That route may  offer the lowest cost way forward for small levels of production use. For regular larger volumes (see above for scale suggestions) I would suggest looking at Data Pump in the first instance in order to get a feel for what is possible.

Or simply edit the project files when you need to. (But keep a safe copy!)

Grant

abbarition:

How do I edit the name of the report my project picks from? /b[/quote]

Grant Perkins

To change the report name you can either do it internally by opening the project, selecting a different report (and model?) the then save it with the same name or with a 'save as' name. However I think that might be counter productive since all of the exports may need to be changed as well.

You could also simply edit (carefully) the .prj or .xprj file using, for example, Notepad.

But it really does depend on what you are hoping to achieve.

Projects are really designed to assist with repetitive processing first and foremost.

If you have partially repetitive processing - for example the same process and outputs but a different input file each time - Projects are OK but a programmed front end which allows the user to select a report might be better.

If the input file changes AND the export files also need to have different names then life gets more interesting still.

It may then be worth leaving the Monarch Project with fixed names and controlling the input file selection process (file with variable but identifiable name) so that whatever file is to be used is renamed to the known file name in the Project.

After running the project to conclusion with known file name exports the exports can then be renamed and distributed.

In essence I am describing some of the core functionality of Monarch Data Pump. If your process volumes are reasonably large, say 10 reports a day, it could be a good idea to take a look at Data Pump for a cost effective step forward.

If the volumes are less than that there are a few free/low cost utilities around that can deal with simple scheduling or some quite complex file renaming rules. They can be embedded in scripts if required. That route may  offer the lowest cost way forward for small levels of production use. For regular larger volumes (see above for scale suggestions) I would suggest looking at Data Pump in the first instance in order to get a feel for what is possible.

Or simply edit the project files when you need to. (But keep a safe copy!)

Grant

abbarition:

How do I edit the name of the report my project picks from? /b[/quote]

SHOH _

Thanks Grant. 

Simply editing the .prj file in notepad is exactly the simple solution I was looking for.  I just have a few reports I want to change the input name for and that solution is perfect for me. 

Steve

SHOH _

Thanks Grant. 

Simply editing the .prj file in notepad is exactly the simple solution I was looking for.  I just have a few reports I want to change the input name for and that solution is perfect for me. 

Steve

Data Kruncher

Steve,

You may want to take a look at  [url="http://mails.datawatch.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000568"]this post[/url] for another "angle" on editing projects and changing report names. You may be able to modify this approach for your needs.

Kruncher

[size="1"][ February 23, 2006, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Todd Niemi ][/size]

Data Kruncher

Steve,

You may want to take a look at  [url="http://mails.datawatch.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000568"]this post[/url] for another "angle" on editing projects and changing report names. You may be able to modify this approach for your needs.

Kruncher

[size="1"][ February 23, 2006, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Todd Niemi ][/size]