5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:52 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Trapping with inconsistent formatting

Dianne Hardin

I have a pdf document that has various formatting inconsistencies and was wondering if there was anything that I could do to trap information from a report this difficult.  I've spent approximately 4 hours with this one, having started from scratch at least 7 times.  I've copied and pasted the information into a WORD document because I can't send the actual pdf document due to it containing sensitive information.  If I try to copy/paste the information into this topic, it wraps too much to be of any help.  There is no way to explain this output logically that anyone would know what I'm talking about (inclusing me).  Can I e-mail the WORD version of the pdf document just for someone to get an idea of what I'm up against?

• Trapping with inconsistent formatting
          Dianne Hardin

I have a pdf document that has various formatting inconsistencies and was wondering if there was anything that I could do to trap information from a report this difficult.  I've spent approximately 4 hours with this one, having started from scratch at least 7 times.  I've copied and pasted the information into a WORD document because I can't send the actual pdf document due to it containing sensitive information.  If I try to copy/paste the information into this topic, it wraps too much to be of any help.  There is no way to explain this output logically that anyone would know what I'm talking about (inclusing me).  Can I e-mail the WORD version of the pdf document just for someone to get an idea of what I'm up against?

Data Kruncher

Hi Dianne,

Please check your Private Messages.

Kruncher

Data Kruncher

Hi Dianne,

Please check your Private Messages.

Kruncher

Grant Perkins

Dianne,

Do you see this as a data layout problem or a PDF problem (which may also manifest itself in how it looks as a WORD document)?

If its a data format problem looking at the WORD output should be OK. But if the problem originates in the PDF creation program the WORD output may not help.

Realistically, rather than using WORD, you could just export to a text file (Using the Adobe PDF reader or similar) and see how that gets on with understanding and formatting the information.

But if the output simply looks difficult whichever way you try it, it may time for some Voodoo Monarch!

Grant

Grant Perkins

Dianne,

Do you see this as a data layout problem or a PDF problem (which may also manifest itself in how it looks as a WORD document)?

If its a data format problem looking at the WORD output should be OK. But if the problem originates in the PDF creation program the WORD output may not help.

Realistically, rather than using WORD, you could just export to a text file (Using the Adobe PDF reader or similar) and see how that gets on with understanding and formatting the information.

But if the output simply looks difficult whichever way you try it, it may time for some Voodoo Monarch!

Grant