5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:52 AM by rodgerdjr _ RSS

Page Breaks

rodgerdjr _

Hello all,

I am using Monarch 5.0  I know it is an old version but for what I do that is all I need.  I use it for very basic reports.  I am currently working with a text file that has no page breaks in it.  I am using Ultra-Edit to edit the file.  Here is my problem.  For some reason Monarch is putting in a page break and when it does that it is generally right in the middle of my template.  I have 4 lines that I am stripping out

USER:  XXX

Login Time:  12:00.00 am 07/19/06

Department:  Any Department

Full Name:   User Full Name

This repeats until it gets to a new section, and it works over sections it is only when Monarch puts a page break in, sometimes right above department and sometime after.  When it does this it skips the filed as in the template I have it looking for the word "USER:".  Is there a way to remove the page breaks?

TIA,

Rodger

• Page Breaks
          rodgerdjr _

Hello all,

I am using Monarch 5.0  I know it is an old version but for what I do that is all I need.  I use it for very basic reports.  I am currently working with a text file that has no page breaks in it.  I am using Ultra-Edit to edit the file.  Here is my problem.  For some reason Monarch is putting in a page break and when it does that it is generally right in the middle of my template.  I have 4 lines that I am stripping out

USER:  XXX

Login Time:  12:00.00 am 07/19/06

Department:  Any Department

Full Name:   User Full Name

This repeats until it gets to a new section, and it works over sections it is only when Monarch puts a page break in, sometimes right above department and sometime after.  When it does this it skips the filed as in the template I have it looking for the word "USER:".  Is there a way to remove the page breaks?

TIA,

Rodger

• Page Breaks
            Grant Perkins

Hi Rodger,

Monarch allows you to define a number of lines between page breaks for use where the report has no natural breaks. The max is 256 lines and maybe that is what you are hitting. (See the Input Options menu.)

A couple of ideas on this.

If your report is regularly structured you could look at specifying a certain number of lines which will always avoid interfering with the layout - though from what you write this seems unlikely. But, for example, if all your records were 4 lines and a space line you might be able to set up a known number of lines in multiples of 5 that would 'page' the document for your needs.

On a similar theme you could define the "USER" line as a page header template so that each record becomes, in effect, a page, though this assumes that you will still have a way of defining a template that satisfactorily traps the rest of the detail. If "Login Time" always exists as the second line of the record you may have a way forward on that.

If neither of these ideas is viable we need to look at a few other options.

HTH.

Grant

• Page Breaks
              Grant Perkins

Hi Rodger,

Monarch allows you to define a number of lines between page breaks for use where the report has no natural breaks. The max is 256 lines and maybe that is what you are hitting. (See the Input Options menu.)

A couple of ideas on this.

If your report is regularly structured you could look at specifying a certain number of lines which will always avoid interfering with the layout - though from what you write this seems unlikely. But, for example, if all your records were 4 lines and a space line you might be able to set up a known number of lines in multiples of 5 that would 'page' the document for your needs.

On a similar theme you could define the "USER" line as a page header template so that each record becomes, in effect, a page, though this assumes that you will still have a way of defining a template that satisfactorily traps the rest of the detail. If "Login Time" always exists as the second line of the record you may have a way forward on that.

If neither of these ideas is viable we need to look at a few other options.

HTH.

Grant

• Page Breaks
                rodgerdjr _

Thank you.  I went and added some extra lines in my source and that took care of the issue.  I have to do this about once a year so it will not be too bad to add in the lines for 20 some pages.  Thank you!

Rodger

• Page Breaks
                  rodgerdjr _

Thank you.  I went and added some extra lines in my source and that took care of the issue.  I have to do this about once a year so it will not be too bad to add in the lines for 20 some pages.  Thank you!

Rodger