23 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:52 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Variable lines problem

mycroftholmes _

Hi - I'm trying to parse a report with variable line records. The report is quite wide, and I don't know how to paste it into this window and preserve readability, but the problem area is the right-hand portion, which looks like this:

PRI          4405.00

INT           316.00

COM              .00

NET          4408.16

Each record can have 1-5 of these entries, and what we're interested in is the 'NET' entry, but we don't know which line it's going to be on. These lines also have other, descriptive fields on the left, which we can pull out, because we know which line they'll be on.

Any ideas?

Thanks

[size="1"][ September 20, 2004, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: mycroftholmes ][/size]

• Variable lines problem
          mycroftholmes _

Hi - I'm trying to parse a report with variable line records. The report is quite wide, and I don't know how to paste it into this window and preserve readability, but the problem area is the right-hand portion, which looks like this:

PRI          4405.00

INT           316.00

COM              .00

NET          4408.16

Each record can have 1-5 of these entries, and what we're interested in is the 'NET' entry, but we don't know which line it's going to be on. These lines also have other, descriptive fields on the left, which we can pull out, because we know which line they'll be on.

Any ideas?

Thanks

[size="1"][ September 20, 2004, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: mycroftholmes ][/size]

• Variable lines problem
            rvelez

Did you try using the FLOATING TRAP feature.  I'm assuming you are using verision 7.  You can have this look for the work NET and highlight the filed you need.

• Variable lines problem
              rvelez

Did you try using the FLOATING TRAP feature.  I'm assuming you are using verision 7.  You can have this look for the work NET and highlight the filed you need.

• Variable lines problem
                mycroftholmes _

Did you try using the FLOATING TRAP feature.

I looked into it, but my understanding of a floating trap is that it's for data that is not in the same column on each line. Our data IS in the same column, but we don't know which line it's

on. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

I'm assuming you are using verision 7.

Yes, ver 7.

Thanks.

• Variable lines problem
                  mycroftholmes _

Did you try using the FLOATING TRAP feature.

I looked into it, but my understanding of a floating trap is that it's for data that is not in the same column on each line. Our data IS in the same column, but we don't know which line it's

on. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

I'm assuming you are using verision 7.

Yes, ver 7.

Thanks.

• Variable lines problem
                    michaeljul _

That is rather easy - highlight the amount to the right of the 'net' - doubleclick the field and pick the 'advanced' tab - now click 'start field on preceding string' and type the word net in the box 'in current line' - voila..... it will give you teh amount every time the word 'net' appears to the left of the amount, no matter where it is in the report

• Variable lines problem
                      michaeljul _

That is rather easy - highlight the amount to the right of the 'net' - doubleclick the field and pick the 'advanced' tab - now click 'start field on preceding string' and type the word net in the box 'in current line' - voila..... it will give you teh amount every time the word 'net' appears to the left of the amount, no matter where it is in the report

• Variable lines problem
                        mycroftholmes _

That is rather easy - highlight the amount to the right of the 'net' - doubleclick the field and pick the 'advanced' tab - now click 'start field on preceding string' and type the word net in the box 'in current line' - voila..... it will give you teh amount every time the word 'net' appears to the left of the amount, no matter where it is in the report.

Is this in my detail template (don't forget there is a bunch of other info to the left of these columns), or should I create an append template for this?

Thanks

• Variable lines problem
                          mycroftholmes _

That is rather easy - highlight the amount to the right of the 'net' - doubleclick the field and pick the 'advanced' tab - now click 'start field on preceding string' and type the word net in the box 'in current line' - voila..... it will give you teh amount every time the word 'net' appears to the left of the amount, no matter where it is in the report.

Is this in my detail template (don't forget there is a bunch of other info to the left of these columns), or should I create an append template for this?

Thanks

• Variable lines problem
                            michaeljul _

In the detail...... no problem with a lot of other data there - as long as the text string is found somewhere to the left you are fine

• Variable lines problem
                              michaeljul _

In the detail...... no problem with a lot of other data there - as long as the text string is found somewhere to the left you are fine

• Variable lines problem
                                Grant Perkins

Michael is spot on with that suggestion I think.

2 small observations.

You might have a problem if the preceding string is likely to be used on any other lines in the report ABOVE the one you want. Monarch always picks the first one it comes to and only the first. Just occasionally, depending on what the preceding string is, it can be useful to consider using more than just the obvious 'tag'. More text or a set pattern of spaces before or after the  tag for example. It's difficult to be precise but the string "net" might occur elsewhere as part of some other text. his situation is more likely to occur where a lot of the report is to the left of the field you require. 

Check the results carefully.

The second point is that this technique effectively allows fields to 'float vertically' within the template. So if the record has a variable number of lines and the tag might appear on any line, the preceding string can allow you to capture the field no matter which line it appears on. (But see above!) The field can be defined on any of the lines in the template so long as it does not overlap another field.

In this case the number of lines in the template is the number of lines between the start of the template and the beginning of the next template. It is not limited to the number of lines in the sample data used for the template. That said some reports can be problematic, so if you get odd and unpredictable results let us know and we will look for a solution.

I hope this helps.

Grant

Originally posted by michaeljul:

In the detail...... no problem with a lot of other data there - as long as the text string is found somewhere to the left you are fine /b[/quote]

[size="1"][ September 21, 2004, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Grant Perkins ][/size]

• Variable lines problem
                                  Grant Perkins

Michael is spot on with that suggestion I think.

2 small observations.

You might have a problem if the preceding string is likely to be used on any other lines in the report ABOVE the one you want. Monarch always picks the first one it comes to and only the first. Just occasionally, depending on what the preceding string is, it can be useful to consider using more than just the obvious 'tag'. More text or a set pattern of spaces before or after the  tag for example. It's difficult to be precise but the string "net" might occur elsewhere as part of some other text. his situation is more likely to occur where a lot of the report is to the left of the field you require. 

Check the results carefully.

The second point is that this technique effectively allows fields to 'float vertically' within the template. So if the record has a variable number of lines and the tag might appear on any line, the preceding string can allow you to capture the field no matter which line it appears on. (But see above!) The field can be defined on any of the lines in the template so long as it does not overlap another field.

In this case the number of lines in the template is the number of lines between the start of the template and the beginning of the next template. It is not limited to the number of lines in the sample data used for the template. That said some reports can be problematic, so if you get odd and unpredictable results let us know and we will look for a solution.

I hope this helps.

Grant

Originally posted by michaeljul:

In the detail...... no problem with a lot of other data there - as long as the text string is found somewhere to the left you are fine /b[/quote]

[size="1"][ September 21, 2004, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Grant Perkins ][/size]

• Variable lines problem
                                    mycroftholmes _

Thanks. I think I'm making progress <g>. I've gotten a table view with numbers in the net column. I also have a field for the "NET" tag, and on some records, this field is blank, instead of having "NET" in it.

I noticed on some records in the source report, "NET" is followed by spaces, then the number, and on some others, it looks like this, "NET    *     2,246.00". Is that a problem?

I have to leave the office now - will touch base with you guys tomorrow, but thanks for all the help; looks like it will save me a lot of hand-coding.

• Variable lines problem
                                      mycroftholmes _

Thanks. I think I'm making progress <g>. I've gotten a table view with numbers in the net column. I also have a field for the "NET" tag, and on some records, this field is blank, instead of having "NET" in it.

I noticed on some records in the source report, "NET" is followed by spaces, then the number, and on some others, it looks like this, "NET    *     2,246.00". Is that a problem?

I have to leave the office now - will touch base with you guys tomorrow, but thanks for all the help; looks like it will save me a lot of hand-coding.

• Variable lines problem
                                        michaeljul _

If the data is not too sensitive, you are welcome to send me a private post with the report, and I'll fix the model for you

• Variable lines problem
                                          michaeljul _

If the data is not too sensitive, you are welcome to send me a private post with the report, and I'll fix the model for you

• Variable lines problem
                                            mycroftholmes _

Thanks so much, but as I was zipping up the report and model to send to you, I decided to looks at it one more time, and I think I got it!

• Variable lines problem
                                              mycroftholmes _

Thanks so much, but as I was zipping up the report and model to send to you, I decided to looks at it one more time, and I think I got it!

• Variable lines problem
                                                mycroftholmes _

Thanks, guys, for all your help. Everything seems OK now. I do have a question, though - where can I find out about these advanced features? The tutorial book that comes with the software certainly doesn't go into them, and there is mention of a reference guide in the help, but I can't find it.

• Variable lines problem
                                                  mycroftholmes _

Thanks, guys, for all your help. Everything seems OK now. I do have a question, though - where can I find out about these advanced features? The tutorial book that comes with the software certainly doesn't go into them, and there is mention of a reference guide in the help, but I can't find it.

• Variable lines problem
                                                    Grant Perkins

You could consider the Advanced training courses. Otherwise hers on the forum is as good a place as any. Lots of interesting stuff in the entries if you fiond the right search words.

The sort of things you are looking at here are often a little too specific to know how they might be documented in a training guide. However, aks 2 or 3 qustions about different types of problems and you should find your knowledge increasing in line with your growing experience and things just start to come together. You need to be a little inquisitive and prepared to experiment 'just for fun' sometimes. Or at least that strategy has worked well for me, how about anyone else?

The more complex problems with reports tend not to fit in with any standard formula for a solution. You have to wing it as you go!

Grant

Originally posted by mycroftholmes:

Thanks, guys, for all your help. Everything seems OK now. I do have a question, though - where can I find out about these advanced features? The tutorial book that comes with the software certainly doesn't go into them, and there is mention of a reference guide in the help, but I can't find it. /b[/quote]

[size="1"][ September 22, 2004, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Grant Perkins ][/size]

• Variable lines problem
                                                      Grant Perkins

You could consider the Advanced training courses. Otherwise hers on the forum is as good a place as any. Lots of interesting stuff in the entries if you fiond the right search words.

The sort of things you are looking at here are often a little too specific to know how they might be documented in a training guide. However, aks 2 or 3 qustions about different types of problems and you should find your knowledge increasing in line with your growing experience and things just start to come together. You need to be a little inquisitive and prepared to experiment 'just for fun' sometimes. Or at least that strategy has worked well for me, how about anyone else?

The more complex problems with reports tend not to fit in with any standard formula for a solution. You have to wing it as you go!

Grant

Originally posted by mycroftholmes:

Thanks, guys, for all your help. Everything seems OK now. I do have a question, though - where can I find out about these advanced features? The tutorial book that comes with the software certainly doesn't go into them, and there is mention of a reference guide in the help, but I can't find it. /b[/quote]

[size="1"][ September 22, 2004, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Grant Perkins ][/size]