5 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:52 AM by michaeljul _ RSS

Reports/Models for Non-Monarch users

michaeljul _

I am working with reports that come from a Mainframe system, and have a need to transfer these to locations that are not connected to the Mainframe. The Mainframe uses socalled ASA chars to indicate pagebreaks, and as such the reports will not print properly if just saved as a normal TXT file. Monarch, however can help setting these pagebreaks so that a PC 'understands them' (by making a header template). Now, is there any way I can save these reports with the Header template attached so that a Non-Monarch user can print them with proper pagebreaks?

• Reports/Models for Non-Monarch users
          michaeljul _

I am working with reports that come from a Mainframe system, and have a need to transfer these to locations that are not connected to the Mainframe. The Mainframe uses socalled ASA chars to indicate pagebreaks, and as such the reports will not print properly if just saved as a normal TXT file. Monarch, however can help setting these pagebreaks so that a PC 'understands them' (by making a header template). Now, is there any way I can save these reports with the Header template attached so that a Non-Monarch user can print them with proper pagebreaks?

Grant Perkins

Michael,

A couple of ideas.

Firstly you might be able to use MSRP.exe to change the existing ASA characters to Ascii Character 12 (as I recall - check the Monarch HELP for more info). This would allow you to create a modified copy of the original file, which I assume is otherwise a text file, for use on a PC.

I also wonder of the PREP utility has a place here but I don't think it offers anything for this particular requirement.

If you want to know what characters are in your original file have a look at the EXAMINE.exe utility - downloadable from the Monarch web site.

Failing that you could artificially create the page break by using Monarch to copy the entire report (template with no trap and the entire width of every line loaded into the table) and then insert the required page break character (Character 12) on the appropriate lines assuming you can identify them.

It should then be possible to export the table as a text file.

I admit I am speculating a little but if you have the option to send me a couple of pages of the original report to play with (Don't need data just a couple of original pages) I would be happy to play around and see what there is to play with.

If you want to do that and get a response this week it would need to be very soon though  - I will be USA bound for a couple of weeks at the end of this week. Time is getting short.

Grant

Originally posted by michaeljul:

I am working with reports that come from a Mainframe system, and have a need to transfer these to locations that are not connected to the Mainframe. The Mainframe uses socalled ASA chars to indicate pagebreaks, and as such the reports will not print properly if just saved as a normal TXT file. Monarch, however can help setting these pagebreaks so that a PC 'understands them' (by making a header template). Now, is there any way I can save these reports with the Header template attached so that a Non-Monarch user can print them with proper pagebreaks? /b[/quote]

Grant Perkins

Michael,

A couple of ideas.

Firstly you might be able to use MSRP.exe to change the existing ASA characters to Ascii Character 12 (as I recall - check the Monarch HELP for more info). This would allow you to create a modified copy of the original file, which I assume is otherwise a text file, for use on a PC.

I also wonder of the PREP utility has a place here but I don't think it offers anything for this particular requirement.

If you want to know what characters are in your original file have a look at the EXAMINE.exe utility - downloadable from the Monarch web site.

Failing that you could artificially create the page break by using Monarch to copy the entire report (template with no trap and the entire width of every line loaded into the table) and then insert the required page break character (Character 12) on the appropriate lines assuming you can identify them.

It should then be possible to export the table as a text file.

I admit I am speculating a little but if you have the option to send me a couple of pages of the original report to play with (Don't need data just a couple of original pages) I would be happy to play around and see what there is to play with.

If you want to do that and get a response this week it would need to be very soon though  - I will be USA bound for a couple of weeks at the end of this week. Time is getting short.

Grant

Originally posted by michaeljul:

I am working with reports that come from a Mainframe system, and have a need to transfer these to locations that are not connected to the Mainframe. The Mainframe uses socalled ASA chars to indicate pagebreaks, and as such the reports will not print properly if just saved as a normal TXT file. Monarch, however can help setting these pagebreaks so that a PC 'understands them' (by making a header template). Now, is there any way I can save these reports with the Header template attached so that a Non-Monarch user can print them with proper pagebreaks? /b[/quote]

michaeljul _

Thanks, Grant

The MSRP option works beautifully

Michael

michaeljul _

Thanks, Grant

The MSRP option works beautifully

Michael