3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:52 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

New functionality - could others use this?

Tom Strachan

Cisco is selling VoIP to many people, and their log files contain reporting information.  I'm modeling the data (how many times did Bob call 411, how many times did the company call 911, etc.).

One particularly vexing issue is the use of "Epoch Time".  They express the beginning of a phone call as the number of milliseconds since 1/1/1970.  This gives the data a unique start time for every call, and it's a standard meausure for US phone companies (I'm told). 

Anyway, I have a nice log file that gives me an integer like 1149112199 as the start date and time of a call.  I need to parse this into two fields in Monarch, date and time.  For example 12/20/2006 13:47:13.  Variants of date and time formats are fine but parsing the long integer into human readable format is important. 

I've developed a clunky calculation that accomodates this, but it's not great.  I was thinking about this as a new function inside of Monarch.  Think of it as a Date format converter from an integer into date / time based on GMT.  Yes, I've also got to take into consideration the time zone.

Does anyone else have a need for this type of conversion?  Call logging / reporting is probably on the rise, it might be nice to build-in the conversion...

• New functionality - could others use this?
          Tom Strachan

Cisco is selling VoIP to many people, and their log files contain reporting information.  I'm modeling the data (how many times did Bob call 411, how many times did the company call 911, etc.).

One particularly vexing issue is the use of "Epoch Time".  They express the beginning of a phone call as the number of milliseconds since 1/1/1970.  This gives the data a unique start time for every call, and it's a standard meausure for US phone companies (I'm told). 

Anyway, I have a nice log file that gives me an integer like 1149112199 as the start date and time of a call.  I need to parse this into two fields in Monarch, date and time.  For example 12/20/2006 13:47:13.  Variants of date and time formats are fine but parsing the long integer into human readable format is important. 

I've developed a clunky calculation that accomodates this, but it's not great.  I was thinking about this as a new function inside of Monarch.  Think of it as a Date format converter from an integer into date / time based on GMT.  Yes, I've also got to take into consideration the time zone.

Does anyone else have a need for this type of conversion?  Call logging / reporting is probably on the rise, it might be nice to build-in the conversion...

Grant Perkins

Originally posted by Tom Strachan:

/b[/quote]Tom,

As a matter of interest do Cisco provide a service reports with their systems that give a human readable interpretation of the log file data?

I used to work in the broader area of Service Management which involved a lot of reporting of elapsed times of activities where calculations had to take into account start time, end time, working hours, public holidays, time zones and a number of other criteria including multiple non-contiguous activities.

By far the best way to analyse the data was to take a standard report where all the complex calculations had already been applied, tried, tested (endlessly!) and output to a report. The reports were cumbersome and often not quite what the users wanted  - until they were Monarched!     

I could also access the raw data directly from the files and for simpler enquires often did as it would save running a report. But for the complex stuff I always ran the reports from the system and then worked on them afterwards.

If Cisco (or any of the other vendors) are not supply the ability to analyse the data without having to perform complex calculations it clearly offers a problem but one would have to ask why they don't feel it is necessary offer such a facility. Maybe they just expect everyone to come up with their own interpretations using Excel?

But assuming they (and others) are not providing an interpretation then it sounds like a function allowing a 'start' date to be specified and a unit of measure (milliseconds or maybe seconds for example as two options - perhaps more?) and producing a date and time as a result would indeed be rather useful. Also an elapsed time calculation perhaps for the events during the call.

Grant

Grant Perkins

Originally posted by Tom Strachan:

/b[/quote]Tom,

As a matter of interest do Cisco provide a service reports with their systems that give a human readable interpretation of the log file data?

I used to work in the broader area of Service Management which involved a lot of reporting of elapsed times of activities where calculations had to take into account start time, end time, working hours, public holidays, time zones and a number of other criteria including multiple non-contiguous activities.

By far the best way to analyse the data was to take a standard report where all the complex calculations had already been applied, tried, tested (endlessly!) and output to a report. The reports were cumbersome and often not quite what the users wanted  - until they were Monarched!     

I could also access the raw data directly from the files and for simpler enquires often did as it would save running a report. But for the complex stuff I always ran the reports from the system and then worked on them afterwards.

If Cisco (or any of the other vendors) are not supply the ability to analyse the data without having to perform complex calculations it clearly offers a problem but one would have to ask why they don't feel it is necessary offer such a facility. Maybe they just expect everyone to come up with their own interpretations using Excel?

But assuming they (and others) are not providing an interpretation then it sounds like a function allowing a 'start' date to be specified and a unit of measure (milliseconds or maybe seconds for example as two options - perhaps more?) and producing a date and time as a result would indeed be rather useful. Also an elapsed time calculation perhaps for the events during the call.

Grant