4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:52 AM by D Darrow RSS

Large Amount of Reports

Rick LaCour

I was wondering if anyone had any good tips for me on this one.  I need to look at daily reports from about 14 months worth.  I use Nautilus system to view the reports, and I can't see a way around this other than saving every individual day.  Any help appreciated.

• Large Amount of Reports
          Grant Perkins

Hi Rick,

Is there no way you can get a report for all the records you need in the date range with each record having a date available somewhere, not necessarily on each line, for the detail fields you require?

If that is possible you can use the dates to re-construct the daily data. (If you need to ...)

Grant

Originally posted by Rick LaCour:

I was wondering if anyone had any good tips for me on this one.  I need to look at daily reports from about 14 months worth.  I use Nautilus system to view the reports, and I can't see a way around this other than saving every individual day.  Any help appreciated. /b[/quote]

[size="1"][ April 23, 2004, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: Grant Perkins ][/size]

D Darrow

Rick-

I'm assuming you have the daily reports somewhere on a pc or network.  You can merge all the reports into a single file using DOS command (yes, DOS is still around...Start, Run CMD)

Navigate to the folder where the 420 reports are (30 days X 14 months) and type COPY *.txt alldata.rpt

Obviously, this assumes your daily reports have .txt extension...you might have to modify the command depending on your 'real' data.

Now you can use Monarch to pull in the consolidated file alldata.rpt (or rename to alldata.txt).  Hopefully your daily reports have a run data and if so, use this as an append field so that you can trace data back to the original report if you need to and/or do subtotals for validating or summarizing.

Hope this help.

PS Long live DOS  (love GUI but DOS still comes in handy    )

Mark Huston

I, too, often have the lamentable task of summarizing data from a month's worth of daily text reports. Open Monarch. Then go to File > Open, navigate to the folder, then select the first report. Next, holding down the Shift key, select the last report in the folder. All the reports in the folder are selected. Click OK, then all the reports are open in Monarch  at once. Apply the model and the resulting output includes all the data from all the reports.

If your reports are in several folders, you can open all the reports in one folder, then navigate to the next folder and open those too.

There are also some fairly simple VBA solutions, run from Excel, to loop through large numbers of reports within a directory. If you're interested, send me a private note.

HTH,

Mark!

D Darrow

Mark-

Great tip...and a simplier solution!

Daran