2 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:52 AM by Nigel Winton RSS

External Lookup error

Peter _

Trying to connect an excel file to my table. I am getting "source & table window columns must be of the same type". It reads the first 30 rows and at row 31 column 2 it errors out saying it cannot read data.  The column has file numbers with a combination of numbers and characters.  I formatted the column as text but it still reads the first file as a number.  So the first 30 rows are numbers and the 31st one is a character file. Any ideas on what I can do.

Thanks

Peter

• External Lookup error
          Grant Perkins

Peter,

[url="http://mails.datawatch.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000300#000000"]This[/url] rather long sequence from a post about a year ago (time flies) seems to cover a similar problem, although the findings were apparently at variance!

It may provide some ideas to check out and it would be interesting to hear what results you get.

I can;t be sure it will provide you with what you are looking for though.

Grant

Originally posted by Peter:

Trying to connect an excel file to my table. I am getting "source & table window columns must be of the same type". It reads the first 30 rows and at row 31 column 2 it errors out saying it cannot read data.  The column has file numbers with a combination of numbers and characters.  I formatted the column as text but it still reads the first file as a number.  So the first 30 rows are numbers and the 31st one is a character file. Any ideas on what I can do.

Thanks

Peter /b[/quote]

[size="1"][ May 19, 2006, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Todd Niemi ][/size]

• External Lookup error
            Nigel Winton

Peter

Don't know if this will help, but with a similar problem I found that sorting the offending column in Excel by Descending Order put the 'text' record at the top and then the link treated the whole column as text. Might be worth a try.

Nigel