3 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:51 AM by Viv _ RSS

current date/time

michaeljul _

Just today finally got version 7.0 pro, and after half an hour I am already SUPER impressed.... one little thing - with new functions Hour and Minute, it seems it should be possible to get the current date and time (sort of like an extended 'Today' function that will give the time aswell) - tried Time(Today()), but that doesnt work - any ideas how to accomplish this????

• current date/time
          Grant Perkins

Good point I think.

You can get around it with a calculated field set to LONG date & time format and formula

date() + time()

or

today()+ time()

Hour and Minute will simply identify and report the Hour or minute value from a time string or date/time string and populate a numeric (rather than date/time) field.

Hour(time()) or hour(today()+ time()) will give the hour digits in the same way.

Interesting to note that the value provided relates to when the data set ( in this case the table) was created rather than current time - although that would have been current time then - if you see what I mean. A nice point I had not fully registered previously.

Hope this helps.

Grant

Originally posted by michaeljul:

Just today finally got version 7.0 pro, and after half an hour I am already SUPER impressed.... one little thing - with new functions Hour and Minute, it seems it should be possible to get the current date and time (sort of like an extended 'Today' function that will give the time aswell) - tried Time(Today()), but that doesnt work - any ideas how to accomplish this???? /b[/quote]

[size="1"][ April 07, 2004, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: Grant Perkins ][/size]

• current date/time
            michaeljul _

Thanks Grant..... I will be playing with version 7 all over easter now - there are some tremendous timesavers for my company in converting existing solutions to this version - especially the fact that ver 5 only let you do one external lookup at a time, which meant endless batch files and several steps to get to the end result - this is solved now....There are standing ovations to the Datawatch folks here in my department

• current date/time
              Viv _

Thank you so much - I was just trying to create a date / time field for testing purposes and you saved me lots of time with this post.