1 Reply Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:51 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Variable lines, multiple fields?  Help!

Steve_P _

Hello!  I am working on a variable-line trap (seems to be a common problem!).  need to end up with a report that shows has the columns "svc cd","description", "Total YTD Revenue" (the ytdrev lines), and "Total YTD Frequency" (the ytdfrq lines), "Blue Cross YTD Revenue", "Blue Cross YTD Frequency", etc. 

When I  set the 'svc cd' line as my detail, it seems to only let me pull in one line for a footer.  When I set the "YTD" lines as detail, it repeats data from the previous line when the "YTDREV" field is blank.  Can I get someone with a fresh set of eyes to look at this and recommend how to get the information I need?  Thank you so much!

(I do not know if the code below is going to display accurately, I would be glad to email someone a file.)

I am working on Standard V5.0 (yeah, I know).  I have convinced my boss to get the new version, but she needs the report now, not later - know what I mean?!  =)

[font="courier"]         A  **** TOTAL  ****       BLUE CROSS        INSURANCE        

SVC CD   401-0395   DESCRIPTION - "Service 1"   

YTDREVO A             20.00            20.00             0.00      

YTDFRQO A                 4                4                0      

SVC CD   401-0403   DESCRIPTION - "Service 2"      

CURFRQO A                 4                0                1      

YTDFRQO A                42               11               12      

SVC CD   401-0404   DESCRIPTION - "Service 3"           

CURREVO A             46.00            23.00            23.00      

YTDREVO A            230.00           138.00            46.00      

CURFRQO A                 2                1                1      

YTDFRQO A                10                6                2      

SVC CD   401-0435   DESCRIPTION - "Service 4 (no REV, just FRQ)"              

YTDFRQO A                 1                0                0      

/font[/quote]

• Variable lines, multiple fields?  Help!
          Grant Perkins

Hi Steve,

Seems to me you need 2 rows available but sometimes the 'footer' can only allow one row before it starts to overlap the next record.

Here's a suggestion.

Trap the SVC line as the detail line.

Create an append template using the same trap as for the detail and make it a 2 line sample.

In one of the rows paint in the field positions for the YTDREVO field positions, name them appropriately and, for each, indicate that they require a preceding string of YTDREVO before they can be populated.

On the other row paint the field positions for YTDFRQO and set each of those to have a preceding string of YTDFRQO.

I have not yet tried it with V5 but it should work.

I am assuming that only the rows that start with those strings are of interest for your extraction.

I hope this helps.

Grant

Originally posted by Steve_P:

Hello!  I am working on a variable-line trap (seems to be a common problem!).  need to end up with a report that shows has the columns "svc cd","description", "Total YTD Revenue" (the ytdrev lines), and "Total YTD Frequency" (the ytdfrq lines), "Blue Cross YTD Revenue", "Blue Cross YTD Frequency", etc. 

When I  set the 'svc cd' line as my detail, it seems to only let me pull in one line for a footer.  When I set the "YTD" lines as detail, it repeats data from the previous line when the "YTDREV" field is blank.  Can I get someone with a fresh set of eyes to look at this and recommend how to get the information I need?  Thank you so much!

(I do not know if the code below is going to display accurately, I would be glad to email someone a file.)

I am working on Standard V5.0 (yeah, I know).  I have convinced my boss to get the new version, but she needs the report now, not later - know what I mean?!  =)

[font="courier"]         A  **** TOTAL  ****       BLUE CROSS        INSURANCE        

SVC CD   401-0395   DESCRIPTION - "Service 1"   

YTDREVO A             20.00            20.00             0.00      

YTDFRQO A                 4                4                0      

SVC CD   401-0403   DESCRIPTION - "Service 2"      

CURFRQO A                 4                0                1      

YTDFRQO A                42               11               12      

SVC CD   401-0404   DESCRIPTION - "Service 3"           

CURREVO A             46.00            23.00            23.00      

YTDREVO A            230.00           138.00            46.00      

CURFRQO A                 2                1                1      

YTDFRQO A                10                6                2      

SVC CD   401-0435   DESCRIPTION - "Service 4 (no REV, just FRQ)"              

YTDFRQO A                 1                0                0      

/font[/quote][/b][/quote]

[size="1"][ September 09, 2004, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: Grant Perkins ][/size]