2 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:51 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

Variable Multiple Line Trap

Hobbes _

Hi,

I have a report that I have been unsuccessful in getting a multiple line trap to work for.  The record can be anywhere from 2 to 5 lines(possibly 6, but I haven't found an instance of that yet).  I have a page header which grabs the account number and date.  I also have a detail line that grabs some transaction information.

This is roughly (very roughly) what I'm working with:

Page header (centered on report)

5 lines of header information (no problem trapping this)

Date     Trans Info             Cash     Total

02-02-02 random info and        100.00   100.00

more information

02-03-02 new transaction       4000.12  5121.57

different line of

information that

needs to be trapped

02-12-02 no common line info    578.57  8741.98

to use to trap the

lines

03-15-02 it's this column        34.44    135.99

that I'm having

trouble trapping

because of the

varying lines of info

that a transaction

could contain

(What you see isn't anything like what I typed (there are 4 columns (Date, TransInfo, Cash, Total)), so if you want me to send you a sample file in the correct format, please let me know and I'll email it to you.)

I tried using the first line of the transaction as the detail and also as the trap line (which seemed to work), but some transactions are randomly skipped.  I've tried just about every combination on the advanced tab of the field properties and the closest I have come to getting the records is to use:

Start Field On:  Line 1

End Field On:  Nonblank Preceding String of 1 Characters.

I hope this make some sort of sense and that someone else has run across this problem before.  I searched the forum, but didn't find anything that quite worked.

Thanks for your help!

• Variable Multiple Line Trap
          Hobbes _

I think I may have answered my own question.  I initially trapped a four line transaction.  When I changed the trap to a one line transaction, all of the lines were highlighted.  It also appends all of the lines (in the Trans Info column) into one column.  Please let me know if you see any weaknesses in my solution.

Thanks!

• Variable Multiple Line Trap
            Grant Perkins

H,

The one line sample for the template is all you need and should solve the problem.

The trick for this sort of situation is that you sample MUST NOT exceed the MINIMUM number of lines in a single record. One will work fine. 2 would work but would be unnecessary in this particular case.

4 lines in the sample would cause a problem with all 1, 2 or 3 line records ... etc.

I reckon your solution should be OK so long as there are no exceptions to the data rules in any reports you get - and that would be unlikely I would think.

Grant

Originally posted by Hobbes:

Hi,

I have a report that I have been unsuccessful in getting a multiple line trap to work for.  The record can be anywhere from 2 to 5 lines(possibly 6, but I haven't found an instance of that yet).  I have a page header which grabs the account number and date.  I also have a detail line that grabs some transaction information.

This is roughly (very roughly) what I'm working with:

Page header (centered on report)

5 lines of header information (no problem trapping this)

[font="courier"]Date     Trans Info             Cash     Total

02-02-02 random info and        100.00   100.00

more information

02-03-02 new transaction       4000.12  5121.57

different line of

information that

needs to be trapped

02-12-02 no common line info    578.57  8741.98

to use to trap the

lines

03-15-02 it's this column        34.44    135.99

that I'm having

trouble trapping

because of the

varying lines of info

that a transaction

could contain[/font][/quote](What you see isn't anything like what I typed (there are 4 columns (Date, TransInfo, Cash, Total)), so if you want me to send you a sample file in the correct format, please let me know and I'll email it to you.)

I tried using the first line of the transaction as the detail and also as the trap line (which seemed to work), but some transactions are randomly skipped.  I've tried just about every combination on the advanced tab of the field properties and the closest I have come to getting the records is to use:

Start Field On:  Line 1

End Field On:  Nonblank Preceding String of 1 Characters.

I hope this make some sort of sense and that someone else has run across this problem before.  I searched the forum, but didn't find anything that quite worked.

Thanks for your help! [/b][/quote]