6 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:51 AM by Grant Perkins RSS

address block help?  (sorry, pretty "101")

todd _

Greetings all,

Sorry, have a file that is coming into Monarch Pro 8.01 from Acrobat.  I haven't used the address block trap, which is what I assume should get used here.  (One slightly weird thing is that when opening the PDF in Monarch, it inserts blank lines between the rows of the original document.  Can work around it, but it's weird.)

Feel free to direct me to another FAQ about this, or help within Monarch itself, but am I correct in assuming that the address block should somehow be able to handle the fact that I sometimes have a second address line, and sometimes I don't?  (See below)

-

PO BOX 582                    

999 NW 6TH                    

ANYCITY          IA      55555

-

107 S SOME ST                 

ANYCITY          IA  555551234

-

Any suggestions, even "you idiot, go see the help files" would be appreciated as this little project is way behind, and it's Monday #3 this week.  thanks   - Todd

• address block help?  (sorry, pretty "101")
          Grant Perkins

Todd,

When you write "Address block trap[/b]" do you mean you are looking to use the original trap on a zip code or the more recent address extraction Address Block feature?

I would strongly suggest looking at the latter if you are currently using the older trap functionality.

I will be honest and say I don't have need to use Address Blocks often and have never, as far as I can recall, had to check its functioning with double spaced lines, but it does work pretty well providing you data are relatively consistent. Addresses always offer plenty of potential for anomalies in the format!

There is a wizard for the Address Block functionality and, er, the Help entry is quite comprehensive. You could extract the block as a single multiline field or as separate fields (ie columns) to add to the table. All Address Wizardry may be run from the Table screen. Several table columns can be identified as being part of the address block information.

If that is what you need but the double spacing on the lines causes problems let us know so we can play around and work out a solution.

HTH.

Hope you enjoy Tuesday when it reaches you ...    

Grant

Grant Perkins

Todd,

I just had a quick play with this. Extracted all of the address area as a single field. The address block functionality handled all of it well except the postal code on your second address which may not bne a recognised format of the countries I selceted. You can deal with that by including the field for the error code and then putting in some secondary checks and, hopefully, corrections depending on what you see in the extraction that might introduce errors.

HTH.

Grant

todd _

Sorry, yes, I did mean the latter example.

Will keep playing with it.  I think I have an issue with my initial detail trap as I'm getting the "----

" lines pulled into the table.

thanks for the suggestions

Data Kruncher

I wondered if those dash lines were part of your data, or if you'd added them for the post only.

If you can't avoid including those lines in your captured data, use the Replace function in a calculated field to strip out the dashes. You may have address data which uses a dash, like "Suite 101 - 1011 Any Street", so something like:

[font="courier"]Replace(AddressField,"--","")[/font][/quote]will remove all of the extraneous dashes. Then apply the Address Block wizard to the calculated field.

HTH,

Kruncher

todd _

Thanks, I will give that a shot.  Sorry, yes the dashes are in the file I'm dealing with.  I should've mentioned that when I posted to start with.

Grant Perkins

I didn't have a problem with the dashes - probably because I used them as the trap line and set my multi-line field up on the second row (of a 2 row sample).

If your real report gives you a problem with that and it may well be that it does because the dashes are used in places unrelated to the address (I could not see an alternative easy trap in the sample ...) can you make the dashes a page header and use a different trap to pick the first address lines?

Failing that there must be a way of 'substituing' them (as Kruncher has suggested) ir otherwise filtering them from the results.

If you are having to use an address TRAP because nothing else gets you what you want (but does the old form of trap get it all?) then I need to think again probably.

HTH.

Grant