6 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:51 AM by jb@sharp _ RSS

Multiple Footer Rows

jb@sharp _

I am using Monarch 6.01 and have a report that usually has 1 footer record for a sequence of detail records but when there is a rejected detail record in a sequence there is a second footer with the reason for the reject.  Even though both footers are picked up in the template only the first footer shows up in the table.  Does anyone know of a way in a template, like using an if statement, to pick up the second footer if the last field of the detail record is reject instead of accept?

Thanks

• Multiple Footer Rows
          Grant Perkins

jb,

It sound rather like you have a footer that is extended if there is a rejection rather than having a separate footer.

I suspect the second footer does not appear simply because there is no detail record for it to attach to, hence my observation above.

I think what you need to try to do is extend the definition of the footer record so that the extra line (or lines if more than one reject record) is included when it occurs. I could be wrong but bear with me as I am working blind on this. Also trying to recall if there are any 'special' constraints in V6!

You could consider defining a multi-line field in the footer that will pick up anything between the end of the known data fields and the end of the footer. (Am I right in thinking that the number of lines in a footer is limited anyway? If so that might be a problem).

Of if the field has some sort of unique tag or text that precedes it you might be able to define a conditional field only populated when it exists and, with luck, irrespective of any number of lines limitations in the footer template sample.

Would it be possible to post a representative sample of the layout?

HTH.

Grant

• Multiple Footer Rows
            jb@sharp _

Below is a sample from the report.  Both footers are picked up in the model but only the first footer shows in the table.  I want to pick up the second footer when the disposition is reject instead of accept.  I copied and pasted so this isn't the exact look but there are 2 detail records (832 and 833) and 2 footer records (16639 and 16643).  The second footer should be attached to the second detail record because that detail record is a reject but in the table only the first footer shows for all records.  The second field in the footer starts with a "B" when the detail record is accepted and an "H" when it is rejected but I don't know how to use that in a template to pull them appropriately.

Thanks for your help,

Jeff Butcher

832 | 2912221                   | DELGADO, BETHANY                         | 20060413-20060413    |          $60.00 |       Accept

-

----

--
            +

+

+
            --

833 | 2914371                   | WILLIAMS, CHARLES                        | 20060405-20060405    |         $357.16 |       Reject

-

----

--
            +

+

+
            --

Errors and Messages Found in This Unit

---------

+
            +
            --

+            

Segment

Code

---------

+
            +
            --

+            

B40440

Patient Primary

The 'Patient Primary Identifier' cannot be the same as the 'Subscriber

Identifier

Primary Identifier' (2010BA/NM1-09)

(2010CA.NM1.NM109)

H45202

Date - Accident

'Date - Accident' was not found, but was expected because the Related

(2300.DTP)

Causes Code (CLM-11-1) is present and is not 'EM-Employment'

• Multiple Footer Rows
              Grant Perkins

Originally posted by jb@sharp:

Below is a sample from the report.  Both footers are picked up in the model but only the first footer shows in the table.  I want to pick up the second footer when the disposition is reject instead of accept.  I copied and pasted so this isn't the exact look but there are 2 detail records (832 and 833) and 2 footer records (16639 and 16643).  The second footer should be attached to the second detail record because that detail record is a reject but in the table only the first footer shows for all records.  The second field in the footer starts with a "B" when the detail record is accepted and an "H" when it is rejected but I don't know how to use that in a template to pull them appropriately.

Thanks for your help,

Jeff Butcher

[font="courier"]832 | 2912221                   | DELGADO, BETHANY                         | 20060413-20060413    |          $60.00 |       Accept

-

----

--
              +

+

+
              --

833 | 2914371                   | WILLIAMS, CHARLES                        | 20060405-20060405    |         $357.16 |       Reject

-

----

--
              +

+

+
              --

|Errors and Messages Found in This Unit                                                                         |            

---------

+
              +
              --

+            

|Segment| Code     | Location           | Message                                                               |            

---------

+
              +
              --

+            

| 16639 | B40440   | Patient Primary    | The 'Patient Primary Identifier' cannot be the same as the 'Subscriber|            

|       |          | Identifier         | Primary Identifier' (2010BA/NM1-09)                                   |            

|       |          | (2010CA.NM1.NM109) |                                                                       |            

| 16643 | H45202   | Date - Accident    | 'Date - Accident' was not found, but was expected because the Related |            

|       |          | (2300.DTP)         | Causes Code (CLM-11-1) is present and is not 'EM-Employment'          | /font[/quote][/b][/quote]Jeff,

This looks like one of those reports which throws info at you without trying to help to connect the disparate parts of the info.

To confirm my understanding ...

The first footer line is required to apply to all records in the section above it but the line record with the H code prefix only links with the rejected record immediately above it - is that correct?

If you had Version 8 you would have the oppotuinyt to define more than one footer so I would guess that picking up both footers and chossing whether or not the H code footer applies to a record based on the "Reject" info would be quite simple.

In the absence of the Version 8 option either all the footer data needs to be extracted in bulk (multi-row fields per column) and then split into its component parts OR q 2 part process might be appropriate.

So two version of the model, one picks up accepted records and B codes footers and the other picks up rejected records and the H coded footer. It's a possibility, but depends on the requirements your immediate and medium term models.

Grant

• Multiple Footer Rows
                jb@sharp _

Thanks Grant.

Do you know if it's possible to create footers that are only attached to the detail record immediately preceding it when there are several detail records after the previous footer? 

Maybe this wouldn't be a footer but something else.

Thanks,

Jeff

• Multiple Footer Rows
                  Grant Perkins

Unless you can come up with a way of creating a footer which always exists for a detail record, butmay be blank in many cases, the answer is no.

The only other options I can think of are:

- find a way to include the 'footer' field(s) as part of the detail record IF THEY APPEAR. To be honest I can't see an obvious way to do that reliably in this case.

- look for a way to deal with the footer detail as an APPEND template. That means defining a template - multi-line in this case - where the TRAP for the APPEND starts BEFORE the trap for the detail template but the field are so defined that they can occur afterwards. Once again the potential does not look great in the this case.

I think my preference would be tempted to extract the 'footers' to a lookup table as stage one of the process and then process the detail and do the footer lookups as stage two.

Not very satisfying but should work and be consistent for any variations which may be discovered over time.

HTH.

Grant

• Multiple Footer Rows
                    jb@sharp _

Thanks for your help.