6 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2014 9:51 AM by Nick Osdale-Popa RSS

right-click to open file with Monarch?

todd _

Hi, this borders on the 'really stupid question' of the day, but does anyone know how I can add "open with Monarch" as an option on a file that is right-clicked on under Windows XP?  Tried the archives, but didn't see anything.  I assume it's a registry edit of some type.  I'm running version 6 still.

thanks for any help   - Todd

• right-click to open file with Monarch?
          Gareth Horton

Todd

Try  [url="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306551"]this[/url]  Microsoft Knowledgebase Article

Gareth

Originally posted by todd:

Hi, this borders on the 'really stupid question' of the day, but does anyone know how I can add "open with Monarch" as an option on a file that is right-clicked on under Windows XP?  Tried the archives, but didn't see anything.  I assume it's a registry edit of some type.  I'm running version 6 still.

thanks for any help   - Todd /b[/quote]

todd _

Gareth, thanks!  (Why in the world didn't I see this before?  argh...)

smile.gif[/img]

Data Kruncher

Guys,

Here's an alternative approach for you. I like to add Monarch  [url="http://windows.about.com/library/tips/bltip088.htm"]to the "Send To" menu[/url], so that you're not limited by the file extension (if any).

I also put a shortcut to Wordpad in there. Comes in quite handy.

HTH,

Sandy

Nick Osdale-Popa

Sandy's method is exceptionally easy. If you want to add it to the immediate right-click (context) menu, try this (it worked for me):

Using regedit (CAREFUL!) navigate to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT*

Expand the * key and see if a Shell key exists. If it does not exist, you'll have to create a new Shell first. Just right click the * key and choose New>Key and name it Shell.

Right click the Shell key and choose New>Key and name the key Monarch or whatever else you'd prefer (whatever the key is named is what will appear in the right-click menu).  Now right click the new key you made and create another key named Command. Then, in the right hand pane, double click "Default" and enter C:Program FilesMonarchProgramMonarch.exe %1[/b] (or whatever path you use for Monarch) as the value. %1 tells Monarch what file to open. If the filename has a space in it, this may not work correctly.

Exit the registry, refresh, and right click any folder. Monarch should now be on the context menu.

Nick Osdale-Popa

Just did a test, and files with spaces in them pose no problem.  

Nick Osdale-Popa

This makes it even easier!

Copy the following into a text file and rename the extension to .reg:

[font="courier"]REGEDIT4

@="C:Program FilesMonarchProgramMonarch.exe %1"[/font][/quote]Right click on the file and select Merge.

NOTE: Be sure to correct the path to your version of Monarch!

Now you have a file that you can use on several computers without having to open regedit each time.

HTH!